Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
50 years of IBS
An_241911 posted:
My first experience with IBS was as a pre-teen. It has negatively impacted every single aspect of my life. The pain from the cramping I've had and continue to have is (I can say with total conviction) worse than childbirth. If I had known back in the day that 50 years in the future there would be no cure and not even any treatment I would have taken my own life a long, long time ago. This has been a curse on my life that has left me with no friends (who wants to hang with someone who is always worried about where the bathroom is?), an empty marriage, and severe depression and self-loathing. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

An_241934 responded:
I can empathize so much with your post. I'm very sorry you have been dealing with this. So many people are not understanding of this condition.

barbarafromtucson responded:
I'm 40 and have been dealing with this for about 4 years. I'm single--have always been--so I project that I'm going to be single and lonely for the rest of my life. I can't see myself living another 20 years like this and if the world ends on Dec 21, 2012, I will be perfectly fine with it. I am NOT suicidal yet...I have 3 cats who are my 'babies'--they keep me from being suicidal cause I wonder what would happen to them if I 'disappeared'.

Nice thing about this website is that we're not alone.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had IBS symptoms for several years. I've tried numerous medications and have not had any relief. My last medication was Librax, but it stop...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.