Skip to content
IBS with severe constipation/MegaColon
Layla49 posted:
I had gallbladder surgery 2.5 years ago, it was botched and through that I learned I have MegaColon and IBS with severe constipation. I DON'T get diarrhea. I would LOVE diarrhea. Is there anyone else out there that has this? Does it ever get better? I have been told I will eventually need surgery to remove the bad parts of the colon, but currently I prefer to avoid that. I take constant laxatives 2 or three times a day in an attempt to keep things moving, but remain at least moderately constipated. I am under the care of a good GI doctor who guides me in the medications and activities. I am 50 and work full time and have a 7 year old. I also have Fibromyalgia which is a serious co-morbidity and I understand often goes hand in hand with IBS. I am just looking for people similar to me to talk to so we can support one another and share experiences

An_242292 responded:
I had my gallbladder out about the same time and have had GI problems ever since which have gotten worse in the past year or so. Do you get spasms or severe bloating? My stomach is so bloated, I look like I am pregnant. I am honestly scared to death but have no insurance to go to the doctor and I also fear what they will tell me. It would be nice to have someone to relate to.

Layla49 replied to An_242292's response:
I understand about no insurance, but I would still highly reccomend a medical opinion. I do get bloating and look like I am pregnant at times. I can usually relate it to something I ate. But sometimes I can't. I have bouts of gastroparesis, so it takes a long time sometimes for food to move at all through my system which really complicates making a food relationship. And as far as spasms, oh yes. They can get really bad at times. I have medication for those but I try not to take it as it can sometimes slow things down even more. The reason I would say you have to see a doctor is that you may or may not have IBS, it could be something far more serious. You really do have to have it checked out.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Started being Lactose Intolerant at age 17. Become diagnosed with IBS at age 24.

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.