Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
affecting my love life?
ald1946327 posted:
I'm 19 and I've only had one boyfriend, which lasted for only a few months when i was 16. I was given hyomax and I've been on it for almost 3 years. It seemed to help sometimes, but not all the time. Just recently, I quit taking hyomax because my doctor didn't want me to be on pills for the rest of my life, and it wasn't working that great anyway. I can tell that the gurgling and sensitiveness is back with a vengeance. I've always worried that this will affect my love life. IBS makes me anxious, nervous, and worried. I'm always on the cautious side and my social life has definitely suffered because of it. I missed my best friend's birthday party because of it. I wish there was a way to rid of it, because I want so badly to have a guy. There is this guy I have been talking to for months, but I'm afraid to make any moves because my IBS is embarrassing. I hate quiet places because my gut makes noises, so how can I be alone with him? Any suggestions or comments?

Take the Poll

Has IBS affected your social life?
  • YES! :(
  • No, I'm lucky....
  • My significant other accepts it
  • Story of my life....
vote
View Poll Results

MelanieF8185 responded:
Hey there my name is Melanie, I am 22 years old and have been dealing with IBS for about 2-3 years now. I completely understand how having this disorder can hold you back from doing things you want to do because you fear that if you eat the wrong thing or have a flare up then the whole night be wasted. Anyways I have been lucky enough to find someone who accepts that I do have a problem and will work with me to enjoy ourselves. It took me awhile to tell him about it because it is so embarrassing but when I did tell him he told me that he didnt know why I was so embarrassed because it was something I have no control over. Anyways I find that the more I worry about going places the worse my IBS. I do take anxiety medication called Buspar when I go places that helps me relax. I had been put on medication for the IBS itself but it doesn't ever seem to help much so I usually take some ammidum ad which is for diarrhea but it helps and i always keep wipes and pepto bismol in all of our vehicles. I also always try to eat simple foods that dont irritate my stomach. But trust me once you find someone who loves you they wont care if you have a disorder. you cant help it or get rid of it. you just have to find what works for you and live as best as you can with it. Hope this helps!

Anon_30421 responded:
I have had bouts of IBS since I was in high school, I am 62 now. The doctors tired Bentyl which might have helped some, but was not satisfactory. Anxiety definitely made it worse, especially traveling or having to attend meetings, any place where there was not easy access to a bathroom. I used a lot of immodium when I had to be in these situations, which controlled the diarrhea but left me constipated for 2-3 days.
I found Digestive Advantage Irritable Bowel Syndrome pro-biotic. This helped quite a bit, but still had problems when in the stressful situations. Then I was diagnosed with Rosacea and the Dr. put me on long term tetracycline for that. I was pleasantly surprised that this also has "cured" the IBS. I still have an occasional bout, but nothing like the past. I have been able to discontinue the Digestive Advantage IBS pro biotic and am doing much better.
Hope this gives you some ideas to discuss with your Dr.
The other thing I found was that discussing the IBS with others that I was traveling with, meeting with, etc. helped reduce the stress and therefore the symptoms. It is embarrassing, but the reduction in symptoms is well worth it. Most people understand that this is a medical condition just like a cold, etc. and are not judgmental.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.