Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help, I need help with my stomach issues!
fleda5150 posted:
My problem started in early August 2011. I started out with severe diarrhea which is not normal for me because I am on meds that cause severe constipation where I won't go for 7-10 days. I had the diarrhea for about 1 1/2 months. At the same time the diarrhea started, I started to lose my appetite and food would make me feel full and bloated. Since August I have lost 48 pounds. I am 5'8 1/2" and I weighed 178 pounds which is heavy for me but a medication I was on caused the weight gain. I have since taken myself off of the medication. I am normally around 145 which is suppose to be my ideal weight. Anyway, along with the bloating and full feeling I started getting to where I would forget to eat or drink all day long. I could go to the next day and not remember if I ate the day before. Food doesn't taste the same nor do liquids. I am dehydrated, weak and tired. I finally was encouraged by a friend who is a nurse to go see a Gastroentologist. He ordered labs on me both blood and stool. He wanted to rule out Giardia, which he seemed certain that is what it was. He also schedule a colonoscopy and endoscopy. The blood and stool test came back normal so we went on with the scopes. They came back normal. Al he saw was inflammation in my stomach lining. But he felt is was not significant. The biopsies also came back normal. He basically has released me saying the test show no problem. I don't know where else to go from here. How does someone lose that much weight, that fast without trying, why is my stomach so bloated and hurt so bad, why can't I eat but maybe two bites and I am done. It just doesn't make sense? Wouldn't a doctor wonder what could be causing these symptoms. It is evident that I have lost the weight and my friends see that I am not eating. I am turning into a non-sociable person because going to lunch or dinner with my friends makes them uncomfortable because I don't eat. I get severe migraines, which I have been fighting for years, but I am getting them more frequently. I was wondering if I could have IBS or spastic colon but I talked to the doctor's nurse and she said the test would have shown that. Since IBS is only a sign of something else wrong, I just want to know what that something else is? Anybody that understands this, please help. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

moonpri responded:
Oh my gosh this was exactly what I went throught 5 years ago. I started my sophomore year of college about 158 pounds. I then started to become sick. With constant stomach pain and diahheria about 10 times a day. In two months I dropped to 112 pounds. Was dehydrated and very weak. I ended up in the hospital. They refused to run any major tests. About a month later while I was still sick I had a colonoscopy and a pill camera exam (I swallowed a camera and they took pics over eight hours). Everything came back negative. I was very upset not because I wanted something wrong with me but because I wanted to know what was wrong. About three months after that it just stopped. I was all the sudden better. Now after 5 years i still do not have a lot of answers. I only have had two more serious flare ups. I was then dx with diverticulitulosis. There was still nothing they could do. I bought a book called IBS cooking for dummies. It had some good tips. But the best thing that I have done was to keep a journal of foods I eat and the symptoms I had. I then know what to avoid and what will happen if I do eat something I shouldn't. I no not any longer eat raw vegetables. For the pain I use a hot pack. It helps a lot. The biggest thing I have found that helped is to eliminate stRess. I finally believed ppl that a lot of symptoms of IBS come from stress.... I wish I had more answers for u but I hope it helped. Feel free to ask any questions.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have no idea what is wrong with me and that's the problem. I have a sluggish gallbladder, slow motility, severe digestive problems and no diagno...More

Helpful Tips

Squatting really help!!!
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.