Skip to content
FMLA?
barbarafromtucson posted:
Hi everyone,

I know that no one here can give me legal advice, but I thought maybe someone else has been down a similar road.

I work for a major airline for the past 15 years. Past few years, I've been suffering from IBS. Luckily I work in call center, so I can take bathroom breaks when needed, but still....

I have put in for intermittent FMLA. I put in for it in July 2011. It was in 'limbo' til October 2011, when they sent me to one of their doctors for a second medical evaluation. They sent me on a 2 1/2 hour drive up the freeway, which was tough on me to do, but I did. Their doctor told me that it was a "no-brainer" that I qualify for FMLA!!!!

Now it's Jan 2012, and it's still in "limbo".

My friends are advising me that I should be contacting a lawyer or the Federal agency that oversees FMLA, since it's a Federally-mandated requirement that companies offer the FMLA. I'm thinking I need to wait until it's 'denied' before I take any action.

If you have any advice for me, that would be great!

Thanks!

calmgut responded:
Hi Barbara I was faced with a similar situation I would definitely wait until they make a decision; given that their doctor was able to see your diagnosis you'll probably get it. Meanwhile, I would call up the FMLA unit of your company to determine what's the hold up it's been 6 months already.

Fair warning FMLA is not disability leave and other words you will not be paid while on leave. But you save yourself from being fired for when you have to leave or call out. Even then companies can still fire you at their discretion because there's ways around it, but give them a call if you don't have a contact for them find out from management.

barbarafromtucson replied to calmgut's response:
Yes, I am aware that it's not disability. Thanks for your advice. It would be nice if the company was required to communicate and process FMLA in specific timeframes instead of leaving us in 'limbo'!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been sick since the Spring of 2003, which was my senior year of High School. I have had over 10 doctors and more than 5 diagnoses.. for years t...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.