Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is my diet IBS-appropriate?
health_girl posted:
I've always refused to eat specific things, avoid others, or eat in a certain way in order to keep my IBS under control because I tried to pretend I didn't have IBS. But I do, and every time I get stressed it flares up and gets 100x worse. I made a vow to myself yesterday to eat healthier, because I need to feel normal again, and it's the only way to control my IBS. Today was my first day, here's what I ate. Please give me your feedback if you think this is good stuff to be eating and what I should change, add or eliminate... (with my IBS, I don't get diarrhea, but a lot of bloating and constipation, gas, etc...)

BREAKFAST

coffee (this doesn't seem to worsen my symptoms although I've heard caffeine should be avoided...)

LUNCH

chicken with rice and marinara sauce
apple
my friend's pizza crust (I know, I shouldn't have...)
a few almonds

DINNER

kale/spinach/arugula salad with light dressing and a sprinkling of cheese
non-fat greek yogurt with a few tablespoons jam
a mini 70-cal ice cream cone, a piece of gingerbread
tea

Thank you

Take the Poll

Do you make significant changes to your diet or avoid certain foods religiously to keep your IBS in check?
  • most of the time
  • totally
  • nope, can't give up that chocolate and fried chicken!!!
vote
View Poll Results

Elizabethianaz responded:
I'm totally new to this form but here I go. I hope this might help you as I came across this book by pure LUCK! Eating for IBS by Heather Van Vorous. You just about told my story about eating & reactions but now this book is my Bible. I swear by it. But I'm still having difficulties w/my diet since I'm also Lactose Intolerant. I've also read that for those of us that have Fibromyalgia there is another diet to look to. So now I'm totally frustrated but fortunately not with all those nasty IBS symptoms. Good luck & wonder if anyone else is seeing problems with being Lactose Intolerant or even Celiac (Glueten free) at the same time?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Lauren and I am 19 years old. For the past six years I have been having abdominal pain that would come and go. I went to see an Interni...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.