Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
This has helped me.
Anon_30421 posted:
I have had bouts of IBS since I was in high school, I am 62 now. The doctors tired Bentyl which might have helped some, but was not satisfactory. Anxiety definitely made it worse, especially traveling or having to attend meetings, any place where there was not easy access to a bathroom. I used a lot of immodium when I had to be in these situations, which controlled the diarrhea but left me constipated for 2-3 days.
I found Digestive Advantage Irritable Bowel Syndrome pro-biotic. This helped quite a bit, but still had problems when in the stressful situations. Then I was diagnosed with Rosacea and the Dr. put me on long term tetracycline for that. I was pleasantly surprised that this also has "cured" the IBS. I still have an occasional bout, but nothing like the past. I have been able to discontinue the Digestive Advantage IBS pro biotic and am doing much better.
Hope this gives you some ideas to discuss with your Dr.
The other thing I found was that discussing the IBS with others that I was traveling with, meeting with, etc. helped reduce the stress and therefore the symptoms. It is embarrassing, but the reduction in symptoms is well worth it. Most people understand that this is a medical condition just like a cold, etc. and are not judgmental.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.