Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IBS possibly Hypothyroidism?
PaintedCavalry posted:
Has anyone else been diagnosed with IBS but later found out it was a case of hypothyroidism?

Basically I'm a wonderful case of chronic constipation. Without any medications I could go 2+ weeks without a BM and never feel the need to do it. On Miralax daily I'm 2, maybe 3 times a week. I've gained close to 70 lbs over the course of 3 years without eating terrible and being inactive. I'm a pretty active person, have 2 horses and all the chores associated with them and owning acreage. I try to eat right and exercise. I've dieted over the years trying to lose the weight, but I will lose some and then plateau. I've exercised, but still not lost the weight. Right now I've finally lost around 30 lbs, but it's been an uphill struggle. I've had all my bloodwork done and the only thing that comes back is a B12 deficiency.

It started back in 2007 and hasn't let up since then. I've been to the gastro doctor, had a colonoscopy that came back clear except for small pockets of inflammation which were biopsied and came back clear. Gastro doctor has basically just said to stay on Miralax permanently at 1 to 3 doses per day depending on how I feel.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'm focusing too much on the symptom and not a possible cause.

Hypothyroidism explains a lot of what I experience, an extreme sensitivity to cold, the dry skin and dandruff when before I was more oily, getting very ADHD (I'm now on Adderall for that) and a general feeling of being tired/fatigued when I don't take the Adderall even after a good 8 hours of sleep. I was having heavy cycles but went on continuous BC and don't have them anymore.

My blood test previously showed my TSH and T4 were in the normal range.

I hate to feel like I'm doctoring myself and telling my doctor what to do, but I'm honestly sick of it all and want to find a cause.

So has anyone else had hypothyroidism that was initially diagnosed as IBS?

caliwolf responded:
Hi-

I started out with Hypothyroidism since I was 22. I am now 42 and now have a cannot go or oh oh gotta go now issues that the docs tell me is severe IBS.

Know where you come from having to tell the doctors what you want done. I have had to urge (polite way to say demand) more allergy testing and more testing of my blood.

I just got my pills and found out that the doctor took me down on my dose of thyroid meds without telling me. I am not thrilled. Can feel the difference in my joints.
As for IBS, I was just told this is as good as my life gets.

Do you have food or med allergies too? I do. Never did before being diagnosed with IBS. Both came together around my 40th and now I am really careful touching anything.

Wish I could be of more help.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Carrie. I've had IBS for over 10 years, I also have Endometriosis and was diagnosed with it almost 3 years ago. Trying to manage th...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.