Skip to content
Cycles of Severe Diarrhea
An_244084 posted:
I have been very sick the past 2 months and, although I am being seen by a gastroenterologist, I am just not getting any answers and am hoping that perhaps I can find some here. Here is the situation: I have been having severe boughts of diarrhea that come in cycles that have been ocurring for the past 6-8 weeks. I will have diarrhea for 5-6 days and then a couple days of relative normalcy and then cycle back into several days of severe diarrhea again. The diarrhea is so bad that I have to practically sprint to the bathroom and I am "going" 8+ times each day. There are times that I am afraid to even leave the house and it has definitely affected my ability to work and function in society. I have long held the diagnosis of IBS and am also lactose and fructose intolerant. But this is something entirely different. I can live with the IBS-- I know how to manage those symptoms and can anticipate what certain foods will do to my system (and therefore, avoid those foods). But the diarrhea I am experiencing during these "cycles" seems to be unaffected by certain types of food (it really doesn't seem to matter what I eat or don't eat---I even have epidsodes in the middle of the night). And the diarrhea is so much more severe than the diarrhea that I usually get. It's almost like having the stomach flu (without the vomitting) for 2 months straight with just a couple of days of reprieve here and there in between. I've searched the internet for answers and can't seem to figure out what this could be. Can anyone offer any insight?

Ecave responded:
Have you been tested for celiacs? Gluten is in so many things. Maybe try eliminating gluten from your diet for a few weeks and see if you have any relief.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Undiagnosed digestive disorder past 18+ mo. Prescribed Bentyl, but provided no relief. Upper endoscopy revealed Barret's esophagus, prescribed Pri...More

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.