Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Effect of gut on head
    GAJulia posted:
    Hello. I'm 53 and have had every IBS symptom to some degree since I was in my early 20's. Something that has occurred with varying frequency is what I think I've seen mentioned here: brain fog. It's not a dizzy feeling, exactly, but slight vertigo, almost. It usually centers right in the middle of my face behind my eyes. Recently I've also experienced facial numbness around my mouth and nose. I know it's related to my gut even though I don't feel any symptoms there because if I pass gas or have a bowel movement, the head symptoms immediately disappear. (My late daddy's left eye would twitch, which was his signal that he was beginning a flare-up.)

These are almost worse than the stomach issues because I feel off balance and less able to function on any level. When I mentioned it to my last gastroenterologist, he said that the gut and the head are directly connected, but didn't offer any help.

Does anybody else have these or similar situations?

ashybug11 responded:
    How strange, I have also had this happened to me...and only recently after having IBS for several years and I am currently in another flare up. I have no idea what it could be...I'll stay posted. It never occurred to me that it could be related. I get the twitching around the mouth and nose area. So very strange. At least you know you're not the only one Hopefully we can figure this out!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have no idea what is wrong with me and that's the problem. I have a sluggish gallbladder, slow motility, severe digestive problems and no diagno...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
    I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.