Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Laxatives
jujulang posted:
I seem to be having issues with my IBS-C again ............ I eat my veggies, fruits and take supplement of Benefiber twice a day and still have problems so I've resorted to glycerin suppositories every other day. My question is whether or not this is harmful. I usually cut one in half and it works within 15-20 minutes.

Ecave responded:
Taking laxatives frequently can be very harmful resulting in sever damage to the sphincter muscle and eventually causing prolapse of the intestines. Plus it is damaging to the normal healthy flora in the intestines. Try a high quality pro biotic and/or enzyme therapy. I strongly urge you to refrain from using suppositories often!

calgal37 responded:
Juju, from what I understand, it causes water to be drawn from the tissues into the lumen of the rectum, 'plumping' things up. That stretches the muscles, and in turn it causes the muscles to contract in response helping move the fecal material along. It's not like taking a stimulant laxative which can be harmful if taken frequently. However, like anything else, if you use it for long period of time your bowel might 'get used' to this process and come to rely on it in order to be able to have a bowel movement. If it's for a period of time and then you discontinue it, it probably won't be a problem.

upsadaisy responded:
I take magnesium every night for constipation. NatureMade makes a 400 mg gelcap that is easy to swallow. If this is too much for you try taking it every other night.

Good luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been sick since the Spring of 2003, which was my senior year of High School. I have had over 10 doctors and more than 5 diagnoses.. for years t...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.