Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mucous bowel movements
An_245353 posted:
For the past 2 months, I have been experiencing excessive (5-12/day) bowel movements with blood and mucous. At times, only mucous is passed. A colonoscopy revealed Ileitis but bloodwork, stool sample and CT Enterography all came back normal.
The doctor prescribed probiotics, a medicine to slow things down (so far, though, it hasn't) and a hemmorhoid cream to help with bleeding.
My next follow up appt. is in 4 weeks and I am frustrated with the problem. Any ideas on what it could be? Dr. was thinking Chrohn's but since the tests are coming up normal, I don't know if that's a possibility?

calgal37 responded:
What specifically did the bloodwork and stool sample look for? Did they do any tests for inflammatory bowel issues? Something along the lines of some of Serology 7 test by Prometheus Labs? lleitis isn't something that can be classified as "IBS" by any means. An inflammatory condition in the ileum would fall under the category of Crohn's.

You may have to do a little pushing to get your doc to consider other testing.

You may want to post your question of the WebMD Crohn's and Colitis Exchange board. There should be a number of people there that could give you a hand.

cropgirl65 replied to calgal37's response:
The bloodwork was for a chrohn's marker, I believe. I have been treating with a Neurologist for the past 10 years for nerve damage issues. I called their office today and was referred to a GI doc who specializes in neurological disorders of the GI tract. Maybe that is causing the problems.

Thank you for your reply.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Lauren and I am 19 years old. For the past six years I have been having abdominal pain that would come and go. I went to see an Interni...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.