Skip to content
IBS increasing in college - NO KITCHEN
cdavidso12 posted:
I was diagnosed with IBS over this past summer and it has been getting worse this semester in college. I don't have a personal kitchen, or a fridge large enough for any significant amounts of food and my IBS is getting worse. My doctor prescribed me Bentyl, an anticholinergic/antispasmodic, which has helped but we only gave me 90 pills for this four month semester. I go to school out of state so I can't see him again until mid December and I have less than 30 pills left. Does anyone have key tips besides cutting out caffeine? I stopped drinking coffee in the mornings (it used to be OK now it's not) and haven't had any fast food in months. I'm trying to be smart about my eating. This is not only a problem socially, but I've been forced to skip lectures and practical labs because of episodes. PLEASE let me know any tips/tricks work for y'all. Thanks so much.

pawsns responded:
So sorry to hear of your problem. I am now 53 (dx'ed at 44), but think that I had this dating back to my college years. First be aware that food triggers can be very individual for each of us. Caffeine is really common and for me was hugely helpful when I stopped it. I was having intense, scary pain and vomiting at night....

Any kind of soda, seeds, high fat items, red meat, pork, cabbage, onions, green peppers, dairy, wheat bran... These are all common triggers. Some people have trouble with lettuce and chocolate.

I hate to say this, but helpful things can be white bread(unless you are sensitive to gluten) It is good not to let yourself get too hungry or to eat really large meals. Try to begin a meal with easy things like white bread and potatoes...specially if you are very hungry, It is funny. I normally can eat almonds and even take them around with me for snacks. However if I am too empty and/or dehydrated, they will trigger me big time.

So try to be really observant on what foods trigger you. Also, if you can find ways to manage stress....meditation, yoga etc. That would be helpful. Stress can definitely make things worse.

Hope this helps. Best wishes!

PS I find eating when I am super tired is a trigger prone time as well.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, My name is Amber, I'm 20 years old and currently undergoing testing to try to get properly diagnosed. I became sick when I was about 12, I lo...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.