Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    My son (17) Dx with IBS
    Bootsz posted:
    Hi, my son who is 17, has been suffering for years with GI problems. He was seeing a pediatric doc at UC Davis, until they all left their practices. So his Ped. doc referred him to her husband, who is an adult GI doc. This guy just keeps telling us, every time we go in when my son is in distress, "Oh, that's just your IBS", and does nothing. He's been prescibed Prilosec and sublingual Hyoscyamine, which hasn't had any positive results.
    Any other parents of teens out there with some tips? I just asked for a referral back to the Ped Gi docs. Anyone know of a great GI doc for teens (even an adult GI doc) in the Sacramento area? We live in Auburn, CA.
    An_249677 responded:
    Hi Bootsz,
    I'm not a parent of a teen, but I have been living with IBS/GI problems since I was 14, i'm now 32. I've been through all the tests, had all the symptoms and been to a lot of doctors. I don't know of any doctors on the west coast, but know of some excellent ones on the east coast.

    What are some of his symptoms? What are the biggest problems? I hate to say that the doctor might be right and that most of the problems could be due to his IBS, but the key is learning how to control and manage his triggers so that life is more bearable. When I was first diagnosed, I had a doctor that threw prescriptions at the problem and said that was that.

    Through my many years living with the condition, i've realized that drugs are not the answer to controlling my symptoms, they can help, but are not the solution. Restricting my diet did helped, but finding what aggravated me and what was ok and to what degree was and is a constant work in progress. Food is not the only or the biggest trigger for my symptoms; the all time top three for me have been stress, my eating patterns (how often and/or the size of meals), and being cold.

    I know what he's been through, it is a burden to live with, not to mention painful, scary and stressful, and facing it as a teenager and/or of college age is even more frustrating.
    [a style="cursor: pointer; color: rgb(0, 102, 153);" onclick="LoginCreatePost(this,'ibs-support-group','3'); return false;" class="template-reply-post" id="exchange-post-enabled_A8">

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Things I live with: Chronic Pain, Attention deficit disorder (ADD), Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), Gastro-esophog...More

    Helpful Tips

    ibs is a mess
    Omg, I was diagnosed with ibs. Where did it come from???? Have to find a remedy because this is not fun. Knots in the stomach, stomach on ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.