Skip to content
Could I have IBS?
An_249551 posted:
Hi everyone. I've never posted here but I am at my wit's end and I'm getting very scared/ frustrated. Since this is webMD and anonymous, I feel like I can give all the gorey details, and I apologize if I get too graphic. Basically, in the beginning of July, I started having urgent bathroom trips and my stomach was KILLING me, but I thought it was just a bug. It's now been almost 6 months. I did all kinds of blood tests and stool samples for my PCP, and everything came back negative, including the test for Celiacs. She finally referred me to a GI doctor, and after a few appointments with him I have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for the beginning of January. He doesn't think I have IBS or colitis because there's never been any blood in my stool, but these are my symptoms:

-Frequent need to go #2
-Stool is either loose or clumpy... not a normal stool since July
-Stool has mucusy discharge with it
-I sometimes poop a clear jelly... yes, I said jelly... it's like a jelly like substance and not an actual stool.
-Stomach is upset with most everything I eat. I have completely lost the ability to digest fruit and ESPECIALLY nuts. Nuts make me sick like none other now.

All of this has been gross and hard enough to deal with it, but I'd be fine with it if I didn't have a long trip to Europe planned. I have been saving for quite some time and I am looking forward to traveling, and so it's scaring the crap out of me that I might feel like this over there while I am trying to enjoy myself. As of July, I had already started booking things, including some non-refundable plane tickets, so there's no way to put this trip off until things are figured out. I'm leaving in February.

Someone please help! THANK YOU!

asheraz responded:
hi friend

i also have almost similar symptoms but not that much severe this is clearly IBS ,, you have that desease i am shocked to see your symptums becasue these are almost same like me ,,,,, freind i try to control it using fruit and vegitables but as you said you are not getting correct using it you should to use other method of dietry fiber like whole grains , wheat brans lentils etc ,,, and please stop making strict plans and stop taking tention and planning start living an un planned life all at random belive me you will see the improvement becasue stress and tentions casue IBS more severe

Daisy23 responded:
Just to update: I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy last Friday and was called by my doctor's office today and told that everything was fine and normal. When I was going into the colonoscopy, the doctor was going over my symptoms again and said that he believed I had post-viral IBS, which I've started reading up on and seems like it's an exclusionary diagnosis. I do believe it's what I may have; its just hard for me to accept that there's not much I can do before leaving on this big trip, except to change my eating habits completely. I don't mean to complain, as I know people on this forum have much worse afflictions than mine... but I'm going to Ireland for 3 months and am now told I can't drink beer? Anyways, it's frustrating right now and I'm starting to consider a holistic approach, since my doctor obviously doesn't seem to think it's a big deal at all to be doubled over in pain and having constant diarrhea.

wellnesstoday replied to Daisy23's response:
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has helped with my IBS symptoms. I have heard that loose stools are (counter-intuitive) are actually a side effect of incompletel bowel movements. It's a godsend!squattypotty.com . I hope it helps you too!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

25 year ild new to ibs
There us a ibs newsletter at www.help@helpforibs.com . Heather who run the web site has some very good idea's. I was not getting any ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.