Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
symptoms
runnerchick posted:
I'm a 42 year old very active woman and am having a hard time figuring out where my symptoms fall. I's getting to the point where I'm afraid to go running outside anymore. When I run on the treadmill usually after 2 miles I have to urgently run to the bathroom for a bowel movement. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to urgently run into the woods because I've had to go. The other day was the worst. I had already had a movement earlier in the day so I was all excited to go for a long run. about 4 miles in I felt it but there was nowhere to go and I couldn't control it. this wasn't the first time. It also seems like when I get the urge, even when I'm not running, it's urgent and I literally have about 60 seconds. I'd also like to mention that I'm vegan so I know dairy doesn't cause it. running is becoming a nightmare. all I think about is where I can run to the bathroom. help!

calgal37 responded:
Do you get the same symptoms fairly consistently when you're not running? I know you mentioned it happens, but.............? Are you having any other issues that might be associated with your GI tract? Do you have any underlying medical issues? Are you on any meds or were you prescribed anything in the last 6 months or so? Any GI issues run in your family?

runnerchick replied to calgal37's response:
No to most of those. I used to have problems once in a while where I would get the urge and if it happened I would have to immediately find a bathroom. I used to drink a lot in and right after college and I at one time in HS abused laxatives for a little while when I had an eating disorder. BUt I haven't had anything to drink for over 4 years now. Maybe I just trashed my body. If I'm teaching for example, and I feel like I may have to go soon, it will all of a sudden hit me and I've had to sprint to the bathroom a few times. When it hits, it hits and I simply can't control it. It seems to happen more often now and I can't pinpoint a trigger, except of course when I run. I amde an appointment with a GI today but unfortunately it isn't until the end of March.

wellnesstoday replied to runnerchick's response:
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has helped with my IBS symptoms. I have heard that loose stools are (counter-intuitive) are actually a side effect of incompletel bowel movements. It's a godsend!squattypotty.com . I hope it helps you too!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed at 16 yrs old with a nervous stomache and spastic colon. I am now 73 and I still have constipation/diahrea every few weeks. I asume it...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.