Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new to ibs...maybe
An_250519 posted:
just been told after 4 weeks of diarrhea that I have IBS. Lots of very painfull cramping and extreme urgency to "go", even if just gas. All test came back negative. Was told I had fybromyalga last year due to wide spread pain and extreme fatigue. Again all test come back negative. Now taking 60mg Cymbalta. New symptom is canker sores on bottom of lower gums. I can work, but nothing else! sleep constantly. nothing else. can barely go grocery shopping. HELP! any suggestions? A diet, maybe? what works? does any of this sound familiar? I also experience night sweats (I believe hormonal) and restless legs at night, but only several times a month with the legs.

calgal37 responded:
Could you give us an idea of all the testing you had done? There are some tests that docs will overlook or not order based upon how you describe your symptoms. Were you tested for food intolerances, celiac disease? Any family history of GI issues? Any inflammatory bowel diseases in your family? Were you on any antibiotics or other meds in the 6 months prior to developing the problem? What meds are you currently on besides the Cymbalta?

barbarafromtucson responded:
Make sure that you get all the blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, upper-GI ultrasound, and such to rule out celiac, crohns, colitis, diverticulitis, and parasites. Celiac is hard to diagnose so be sure they test you a little extra for that. There is a type of blood test that will test food sensitivies..I'm blanking out on the name of it but only one GI in the Tucson area does this type of test...will update later with the specific name of this test. In meantime--dietary causes can vary, but dairy and gluten/wheat are big/common ones that cause digestive issues.

If you can do it, I would eliminate dairy and gluten/wheat from your diet for a month (it takes awhile for it to get out of your system). If it gets better, then you know that it's one of these two that is causing/contributing to it. You can then add dairy back to your diet--if you start having problems, than you know it's dairy. Then you can start eating gluten/wheat and see how that affects your system.

Also it's a good idea to journal--write down every thing you eat, when you eat, when you go to the bathroom, the 'consistancy' of your BMs, and so on. Also document how you are feeling throughout the day...over time, you may be able to pick up patterns and figure out foods that way as well as what stressors are in your life...stress/anxiety does contribute significantly to your GI track.

Set time each day to relax/meditate. If your Christian, you can use this time to pray.

Hope that helps a little.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.