Skip to content
new to ibs...maybe
An_250519 posted:
just been told after 4 weeks of diarrhea that I have IBS. Lots of very painfull cramping and extreme urgency to "go", even if just gas. All test came back negative. Was told I had fybromyalga last year due to wide spread pain and extreme fatigue. Again all test come back negative. Now taking 60mg Cymbalta. New symptom is canker sores on bottom of lower gums. I can work, but nothing else! sleep constantly. nothing else. can barely go grocery shopping. HELP! any suggestions? A diet, maybe? what works? does any of this sound familiar? I also experience night sweats (I believe hormonal) and restless legs at night, but only several times a month with the legs.

leemitz responded:
This sounds very familiar to myself. Approximately 14 months ago the diarrhea just came on one day and hasn't went away. I've reduced my diet down to rice, white potato, fresh meat (not fried), bananas and oranges. Lots alot of weight and have tried several medications. I also have fibro and have been on Cymbalta which we discovered took the pain away but mad me so depressed I didn't want to leave my bed. I've just weaned off of Cymbalta and have scheduled more doc appts to see if anything new is out there to help me. Just don't give up hope. Go to a 2nd doctor if needed or a 3rd. Good luck

calgal37 responded:
You may want to try going off of all forms of gluten (wheat, rye and barley) and/or also dairy. As strange as it sounds some people react to a condition now being termed non-celiac gluten sensitivity with joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, sometimes rashes, severe bowel habit changes and a myriad of other symptoms. A lot of docs don't look beyond the bowel problems before proclaiming it to be 'IBS' when, in fact, it could be a food intolerance/sensitivity issue.

A problem with the testing for this problem is it doesn't always return a positive result even when the condition is present, so trying an exclusion diet can be very helpful in figuring it out.

Consider taking gluten out of your diet for several weeks and see what happens. If that makes few changes, add it back (monitoring the result) and then try taking dairy out of the diet. Although changing your diet can be a difficult thing to do, the results could be very worth it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had tummy issues and they I remember growing up watching my mother suffer through tummy and bathroom issues. Then my daughter started sh...More

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.