Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
yogurt
Hawk48 posted:
I'm not sure if I have IBS or any other number of things it might be. In my forties, I was diagnosed with colagenous (sp?) colitis, but not the usual ulcerative C or Crohn's or Spastic Colon, etc. I haven't seen my gastroenterologist for a while, but past colonoscopies have always revealed NO polyps. But recently it seems like current symptoms might be more like IBS. Some pain, cramping, diarhhea and/or constipation, and I can sometimes "guess" the foods that might trigger this. Actually, I have a specific question and am open to anyone's experienced advice. The specific question regards yogurt--it's dairy (milk product) but i've always understood that it had good digestive enzymes. Does it have probiotics? Could yogurt still be eaten in small portions even with a certain (?) lactose intolerance, e.g. I can't drink milk (use soy), but I can tolerate small amounts of low-fat cheeses and fat-free yogurt. What are others' reactions to yogurt and is it a good source of probiotics?

calgal37 responded:
Collagenous colitis is a form of microscopic colitis so it's a bit different than the usual IBDs. If you're lactose intolerant I believe you should look elsewhere for probiotics sources as you're probably going to have digestive issues with yogurt. In addition, the probiotic (bacterial) count is typically less than what can be found in capsules.

You may also want to look into the link between gluten and dairy, and 'issues' or correlations that are found between those two food groups and MC. There's some decent information on enterolab.com or google the subject.

Hawk48 replied to calgal37's response:
Thanks so much CalGal37--will do!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.