Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help me with my Lactose Intolerance problem PLEASE!! I'm gonna commit myself!!
nicatl posted:
I really need some help here! I know I have IBS but all these years I have controlled it with bentyl or levsin. All of a sudden I started having riproaring stomachaches! The kind like you had when we were kids. Double over and need to use the bathroom. Sometimes I go and sometimes I don't. My GI dr. decided to check me for Lactose Intolarnce. It came back I was highly lactose intolerant. Well I started using Lactaid, I stopped my icecream. It's kinda hard when EVERYTHING has milk in it. But I continue having major stomach problems. I had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, Hidascan, all came back fine. Could this lactose be causing THIS major problem?? I don't have diarreah, I do have contispation and I use miralax and probotics to help. Actually miralax makes me sick after about 3days of taking it. I'm so depressed from all this. I'm a small female. 5'2 and 104lbs. I don't need to lose anymore weight. I exercise almost everyday. My dr. is getting ready to do a CT scan. I just don't get it. I have talked with a few people who are lactose intolerant but they NEVER hurt this bad. And most have diareahha as their sympton. I'm at my wits end. I have lost work time, and I'm afraid to eat anything because of the pain I have. Please anyone,,if you have any advise or you have lactose intolerance and it causes you MAJOR pain please tell me what you do. I don't even drink milk. I just use the Lactaid milk in my cereral or foods I cook. PLEASE!!! Did my doctor perforate when he did my endoscopy? Hopfully the CT scan would show that, but i'm sure a readi-cat barium to drink before and I believe it says if you have a perforation it doesn't show if you drink this! I'm gonna end up in the hospital because I can't take this.!! Thanks everyone!

calgal37 responded:
It's possible the problem could be casein - the major protein in diary - not the lactose sugar. It's often mistaken. It means that if you ingest ANY form of dairy - even Lactaid - you're going to be miserable.

The other big food sensitivity issue these days is gluten - and it's not a fad. It's a real problem. Gluten sensitivity is becoming more and more 'seen.' If you get anything like 'brain fog', extreme fatigue, blotches, or a variety of other symptoms, it might be caused by gluten. It might be worth your trying to take it out of your diet for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. And by taking it out it can't be 'I'll just cut back.' Nada. All of it has to go because even a small exposure can cause weeks of symptoms.

Also, many of those with casein problems cross-react to gluten and the other way around.........just a head's up.

sheba_q replied to calgal37's response:
I'm going to second what CalGal says - cutting back is not going to do it. Having that many problems with milk products means you have to give them up completely. Lactaid still has lactose in it - it can work in a pinch to reduce the amount you're taking in but it's not a long term solution.

To defeat this you're going to have to read labels and get rid of most prepared foods. I know - it's not easy. But if you want to feel better it's what you're going to have to do.

leemitz responded:
I hope they find an answer for your issues. I've had daily diarreah for the last 14 months and stomach issues most of my life, as far back as I can remember. Even had those "killer, I'm having a baby" stomach aches you talk about. Lactose could be THAT big of an issue. Have some doctor check to make sure that your arteries in the abdominal area aren't blocked. That happened to a friend of mine and it took forever for the doctors to find out what was wrong. Good Luck.

westcoastgirl responded:
After years of suffering, they said it is IBS....they tried Rx's, only worstened .... I decided to stop all dairy, went to helpfor ibs.com and got some really good help. So now, I have stopped fats, red meat, dairy, caffeine (that was a hard one), and only have one glass of wine. Big difference!! Once in awhile I get a bad day, but nothing like before.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a "sensitive stomach", but once my daughter was born five years ago, I started having diarrhea. It gradually became 7 days...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.