Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help. Is this the right place?
Maiadab posted:
I have been dealing with bowel issues since the summer of 2010. I went from totally normal to a complete mess with bowel movements. I am 33 years old.

My signs/symptoms:
Diarrhea - 3 to 7 watery stools some days.
Urgent need to use the bathroom. Sometimes after I eat I only have minutes to make it to the toilet. A lot of times it is almost explosive. When this happens I usually have 2 - 3 more episodes like this in a couple hours till it stops.
Pencil like stools - consistency of toothpaste.
Undigested food is common.
Stools are usually brown or green in color
Sometimes have burning watery bowel movements.
Gas/Bloating.

I never have any pain from these symptoms. Sometimes I will go a few days to up to a week with normal bathroom signs and then all of the sudden it hits me.
My mom has IBS (constipation) and has just been diagnosed with diverticulitis after spending several days in the hospital.

I also wonder if my GERD diagnosis could actually be gall bladder issues that cause digestive/bathroom issues.

This is such an embarrassing subject and I don't have family and friends to discuss it with so I feel as if I am the only one experiencing these things.

I do suffer from health anxieties so these problems don't help that out any. The pencil like stools automatically make me think cancer.

smann68 responded:
Hi Maiadab. I do know that reflux/gerd can cause some of the issues you are describing but it would probably be a good idea to check in with your Dr./gastro just to be sure.

You may also have something else going on.

You are not the only one experiencing these problems. I have IBS, reflux and take meds that cause stomach problems. It's not pleasant for sure.

Let us know what the Dr. says. Best of luck!

rww2004 replied to smann68's response:
My Dr took me off one med I was taking for GERD because it can cause bacteria in colon have you been tested for that? Put me on a lesser one for GERD does not work 100% but trying to balance between the GERD and the IBS GL

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Lauren and I am 19 years old. For the past six years I have been having abdominal pain that would come and go. I went to see an Interni...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.