Skip to content
Going back to the doctors
inpaintoday posted:
About three years ago I thought I had gluten allergies and cut down on gluten but when I had a bad attack of diarrhea I went to the doctor and had a blood test and stool test to check for allergens. They came back normal and I was told I "mostly likely had IBS"

I started taking digestive enzymes and probiotics daily and by limiting what foods I ate I was okay.... If I did have a slight problem then I took a Buscopan pill (Hyoscine Butylbromide) and it cleared up.

Last year I went to another doctor and all he did was agree that it was IBS and prescribe some Hyoscine Butylbromide pills.

I've had pretty consistant loose bowel movements for this last week. Nothing I've eaten could have caused it (would have cleared up by now) so I've got a doctors appointment for later today. Really hope that I can get some help. This is really horrible and interferres with my work (meaning I'm getting warning for being sick so much).

Have a feeling I might have to demand some tests! Any specific thing I should mention? Think I just needed to vent...

calgal37 responded:
Inpaintoday, not a lot of docs are up-to-date on food intolerances such as gluten problems. So try finding a functional medicine doc who will look at your problems from both a 'standard' manner and an 'alternative' manner. Many people who truly do have gluten issues end up being lumped into the IBS category for many years before finding out the truth.

If you want to find out if gluten or other foods could be part of the problem, you can't just cut down on the food group. It has to be fully removed from the diet. The reaction to certain foods is based on an antibody response. Therefore even a 'speck' of the substance can cause a reaction that may not show up for days, but last for weeks-to-months. So it's not a simple thing to pin down.

Try testing, but also keep in mind that the tests aren't 100 percent perfect. So if a test comes up negative, but you still suspect a certain food group, eliminate it completely from your diet and wait at least 4 weeks to see if you see a change. Also keep in mind that it can take about 1 1/2 years to completely clear the 'ravages' certain food groups - like gluten - can do out of your system.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! Well i'm a mother of 1 (hopefully to 2 soon) to a wonderful beautiful daughter, i'm married to a wonderful husband, and I am pentecosta...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.