IBS
An_252405 posted:
I have had IBS-D for a long time, I believe since 1997, not much help at all from the doctors as they don't really have a treatment for this.

I missed a lot of work, lost weight and co-workers thought I had a bad illness, they couldn't understand why i go to the bathroom so much.

I have changed my diet it still doesn't help much, and I still have days where i almost do not make it to the bathroom.

the most common thing I hear is oh it must be in your head, you just think you have to go.

rww2004 responded:
Changed diet seems to be almost everything to some degree All fiber does (big with Dr's) is thicken does not help with urge or frequency Most misunderstood condition GL

calgal37 responded:
Consider supplementing with probiotics. There are a number of good brands on the market to choose from. In addition, you may want to consider working with a functional medical doctor and being tested for food intolerance issues. In some, reactions to specific foods can produce responses that can include brain fog, fatigue, diarrhea or constipation (or alternation), skin rashes, weight gain or loss and a number of other symptoms.

It seems that 4 of the major 'offender' food groups are gluten (wheat, rye and barely), dairy (the casein in dairy), eggs and soy.

Food can nourish, but as surprising as it can seem it can also 'poison' a person's system.

Larry_Hoberman responded:
Hi An_252405: I'm so, so sorry to read about all of your problems with IBS that have made your work and home life so uncomfortable. Also, this problem you've having with IBS is NOT all in your head either.

The good news is that CalGal37 is right on the money about seeing a doctor (a gastroenterologist) for this problem. One completely safe and healthy thing you can do before your visit with the doctor, as CalGal37 also said, is taking a quality probiotic that contains multiple strains of beneficial bacteria. http://www.endomune.com/blog/2013/01/feel-relief-from-ibs-with-probiotics/

Please let us know how you're doing!

BettyOBlitzer replied to Larry_Hoberman's response:
I also avoid wheat and dairy. And most DEFINITELY try the probiotics! I stayed away from fiber for a long time because it just seemed to make my problem worse, or didn't help at all. Then I tried the fiber powder, the one that has no taste and doesn't get thick. The container said to take 2 teaspoons 3 times a day. I use one teaspoon in the morning, and that is all I need. Maybe some of us just don't need as much fiber. This works very well for me, so far. I also missed lots of work, and people sometimes acted as if they thought I was "faking". I sure wish all that pain had NOT been real! Good luck!

pawsns responded:
Hi An_252405! So sorry about your long struggle with this. It is soooo not in your head! I can really sympathize with you....I had it from 1980 (if not before) although it wasn't given a name until 2003, when I was having vasovagal responses to the intense pain. Getting better has been a step wise process for me starting in 2008.

What dietary changes have you tried?

You have received a lot of good suggestions here. I encourage you to keep trying to find what helps you. Did anyone mention coffee, black tea and carbonated beverages?
They are frequent irritants.

Best wishes!