Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lactulose and IBS D
ArtKen posted:
Have been dealing with a case of IBS D or maybe diverticulitis for a couple of weeks on and off. Doctor prescribed lactulose once a day and while it helps if I stop it and go back to Metamucil it returns. Only problem with lactulose is the bloating it causes. Wondering if there is another solution.

I see doctor again on the 9th of July.

As I am a 76 year old male I suppose some of ths goes with again.

calgal37 responded:
ArtKen, I'm a bit confused. You say you're dealing with a case of IBS that is diarrhea predominant. But your doc prescribed lactulose? Lactulose is to help someone have more frequent bowel movements, so...................?

Metamucil is also something that is typically used to help someone become more regular, or have more frequent bowel movements.

What am I missing, or mis-reading? Do you typically have problems with diarrhea or constipation?

ArtKen replied to calgal37's response:
Sorry for confusion. My message should have read IBS C. I do have problems and have had for years of both but more so the IBS D than cinstipation..

I have received a number of recommendations from our provincial Eat Right department which I am reviewing. Also cutting back on lactulose to half a dose but staying on Metamucil and that seems to help cut down on bloating a bit. Hopefully I can stop lactulose all together and maybe just increase the Metamucil if required.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I haven't exactly been the healthiest person. As soon as i was born-ear infections, that reoccured until I got tubes in my ears around age 1 or so...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.