Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Could this be IBS?
Janemarie91 posted:
In the past 4 years I have had uncontrolled diarrhea on about 6 different occasions.When I have these spells, I'm in the bathroom, going about every 20 minutes for about 4 hours, leaving me weak and fatigued the next day.After that, I'll be fine with normal bowel movements for a long time. The last episode I had was about 2 weeks ago. I woke up in the morning and didn't even realize I had a bowel movement and I was too late getting to the bathroom. My G.I. doctor did a endoscopy and didn't find anything and I also had a Celiac test that was normal. He wants to do a colonoscopy, but just using the prep. will put me in a state of diarrhea for hours. My primary care doctor that I saw a year ago thought it was IBS. Is there anything else it could be? I'm pretty normal the rest of the time, but never know when this is going to happen.

sarah8785 responded:
sounds like ibs. Why didnt your g.i talk about possibly it being that? My blood work came back fine and everything but my doctor refused doing a endoscopy on me or a colonoscopy because he says my symptoms point to IBS only.

jvward002 responded:
My doctor did have a colonoscopy done partly to rule out crohns and ulcerative colitis. Once those are ruled out it is most likely IBS. There is no test for IBS, just ruling out other stuff first. My IBS comes and goes, sometimes I am fine and other times I have major flare ups. I have figured out that fried foods bother me a lot, so do beans, and foods with high acid content. I also have diverticulitis which causes flare ups too. I am going to have my gallbladder checked as I am not sure that was ever done yet. Hope this helps some.

rww2004 replied to jvward002's response:
Thought doctors had ran all test on me but NOT The colonoscopy can also show if you have bacteria, which I did from years of med's for gastric reflux For that they put you on antibiotics for few months and take off antacids There is also leaky gut I have 9 of the 10 symptoms so that is next test I am requesting Has mostly til now been treated by alternative medicine No cure but a remove, replace, repair system. Also having further test done any allergies although the more I learn is that you do not have to be allergic, it is sometimes just a sensitivity to some foods When a child through to young adult I had some problems with eczema when the eczema returned a few years ago along came the IBS Couple years before that I injured my neck and then began having increasing problems with pain in other parts of my body So I really started falling apart along with my life Both IBS and eczema can be caused and aggravated by stress and allergies Really wish I could at least get hold of the IBS although some of the eczema is visible and embarrassing the worst part is that my skin just splits open I also around same time developed allergies or sensitivities to penicillin, latex, soaps, deodorants, etc So ugh life has not been fun and not at all what i thought I would finally have time for once kids grown

welcomefriend replied to rww2004's response:
A hard and stiff abdomen often causes stress, strain and digestive disorders like ibs, indigestion, bloating, flatulence, chronic constipation or diarrhea etc.
Hence ideally our belly should be small, soft, tender, yet, at the same time strong, supple and flexible to support our body. This may sound absurd. But I assure you that it is very much possible. Anyone, with a little bit of practice and patience, can make it happen himself.
If we observe the breathing pattern of infants and young children. we will find that usually their breathing is relaxed and effortless. Their chest do not move much, rather their chest and belly gently move up and down simultaneously during breathing. Whereas we usually breathe moving only our chest and shoulder while our belly remains more or less static or stiff.
No, I am not talking about so-called "abdominal breathing" in which, the chest is forcibly kept still and only the abdomen moves. I am telling about "normal" breathing involving simultaneous effortless movements of chest and abdomen.
So our target will be to very slowly involve our belly to move while breathing and to gradually reduce stress on our chest and shoulders. The most important thing is proceed slow but steady. Never apply any force or pressure during this process. Be patient and wait for results to come automatically.
At beginning, by put your palm of your hand on your belly and observe whether your belly is soft and tender, or stiff and hard; whether it is moving up and down in breathing or remains static and fixed. Do not try to keep your chest still. Allow it to move on its own. Then try to relax your whole body, particularly your abdomen, chest and shoulders. Do not use force to push up or down your belly. Do not unnecessarily try to take deep inhale or deep exhale. Rather just watch your breathing. Keep focus on your belly. Feel your belly. Just observe your breathing pattern and relax. Keep in mind the target- that ultimately the stress on your chest and shoulders will be reduced and your chest and belly will smoothly and automatically move up and down together in breathing. Such movements will be not big or heavy, rather small, quiet and easy.
Also observe closely the breathing patterns of people around you. After some time, you yourself will be able to find out who is breathing normally and healthily, and who is not.
Gradually and slowly, after months of practice, your belly will start to move automatically together with your chest while you inhale and exhale. You will enjoy it. Your body and mind will get multiple benefits. It is worth trying for at least a couple of months.
Let us hope for the best. Good wishes.

marshagal responded:
I have been so confuse by the different digestive disorders out there that have given up trying. Bring my concerns up to doctors always seems to fall on deaf ears. It is really surprising me that you guys are having allergy tests and colonoscopy done and I am getting told to eat more, drink more water, or its probably just a bug. Who are you seeing that are ordering these tests? I mean in my case, it has gotten so bad that I lost 15 pounds even though I was eating, because I was not absorbing the food anymore. It was just coming straight out of me. Most of my children have poor stomachs also! I hope you find relief soon.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had tummy issues and they I remember growing up watching my mother suffer through tummy and bathroom issues. Then my daughter started sh...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.