Skip to content
barbarafromtucson posted:
So I am now living in Texas with a new doctor. I'm thinking about switching doctors. She is a PCP and I asked for a referral to a GI. She wants to try to treat me first before doing so. She gave me a prescription for this new medication (blanking out on the name--but it's a new medication for IBC-C) to try. However, my condition is IBC-D with diarrhea pre-dominant. She says that the medication should help regardless.

I am doubtful and thinking I should switch. I will post a followup later with the particular name of the medication, but should I be looking for a new doctor or should I give this medication a try, even though there are warnings that the side effect could be diarrhea.
barbarafromtucson responded:
The drug is Amitiza
sheba_q replied to barbarafromtucson's response:
I wouldn't try it. I looked Amitiza up and it's "used for the treatment of chronic constipation of unknown cause in adults, as well as irritable bowel syndrome associated with constipation" so I seriously doubt this would help.

I'd go to her again before switching doctors and ask her why she's trying to treat you with a constipation med when you're the polar opposite. You could also print out this page and ask again for a referral to a GI. (and if you're feeling a little snarky you could point out that Amitiza isn't listed on there... )
smann68 responded:
My GI dr. put me on amitiza for my IBS-C and it does absolutely nothing!
barbarafromtucson replied to sheba_q's response:
Thanks! I will go back to the doctor and ask. I just had a gut feeling about the medication.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Lauren and I am 19 years old. For the past six years I have been having abdominal pain that would come and go. I went to see an Interni...More

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.