Skip to content
IBS
wolfie1 posted:
I was diagnosed with IBS in my early 20's. At that tme it was manageable. But for the past 1-11/2 yrs (and 40 yrs later) I seem to have episodes of uncontrollable diarrhea - it just comes, and I can't control it. I have bouts of it about once or twice a month and lasts for several hours. Fortunately it usually comes in the evenings when I'm at home. I rarely make it to the commode and my clothes get washed a lot. Any suggestions? Medication? I tried telling my doctors and they don't seem to get it.

calgal37 responded:
Wolfie, you may want to consider the idea that you might be one of the approx. 1/4 of those with IBS that don't really have IBS at all, but could instead be experiencing food issues. A lot of people have either gluten sensitivity, full-fledged celiac issues, or changes in bowel habits due to some of the major antigenic foods: dairy, eggs and soy to name a few.

There are some decent IgA and IgG based food testing kits out now that a lot of functional medicine doctors use. They're not 100% perfect, but it might give you some information to make you more comfortable. You could also try some exclusion diets taking out one food group for 3-4 weeks then adding back and noting changes. Typically, if that's the issue, you'll know pretty quickly.

Larry_Hoberman responded:
Hi, wolfie1,

In addition to addressing food issues, have you considered taking a daily probiotic to regulate your digestive system? Probiotics can help treat your IBS symptoms by defending against the harmful bacteria in your digestive system that cause diarrhea. They can help reduce gas production, bloating, as well as IBS and antibiotic-related diarrhea. I have more about probiotics and how they can help symptoms like yours on my blog: www.endomune.com/blog.

wolfie1 replied to Larry_Hoberman's response:
Yes. Started about 1 1/2 months ago. It helps some but not all the tiime.Maybe I am taking the wrong type. What should I be looking for, in the ingedients?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a "sensitive stomach", but once my daughter was born five years ago, I started having diarrhea. It gradually became 7 days...More

Helpful Tips

25 year ild new to ibs
There us a ibs newsletter at www.help@helpforibs.com . Heather who run the web site has some very good idea's. I was not getting any ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.