Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IBS Getting Worse With Time HELP!
farfaraway24 posted:
Hello, I am new to this whole support group thing so please bear with me. I am a 23 year old female who has been dealing with IBS since I was 17. After doctors visits to 7 different primary care providers, as well as a GI, countless blood tests and a colonoscopy at 18, I was doomed with the news that I have IBS the diarrhea type, one of those things out there without a cure. One would think that after having dealt with IBS for the past 7 years things would have gotten better, well they've only gotten worse. I'm at that point when I'm just so sick of dealing with IBS and all its' crap (sorry I couldn't help myself). I was barely able to finish my associates degree in college because at times my IBS symptoms would get so bad I had to leave campus in the middle of the day, thank god for online classes. I am now hoping to proceed with attaining my goal of receiving my bachelor's degree but even just the thought of stepping foot back on a campus makes my belly rumble with anxiety. I work full time in a company where I really enjoy most of the people I work with and most importantly I really like my position. The only problem is attendance. I've had to miss work numerous times because of the onset of my diarrhea symptoms or leave early. One such instance occurred this Friday, I had to leave work one hour early because I just would not take spending more time in the ladies room than working at my desk, its extremely embarrassing to have to keep sprinting into the ladies room, heels and all. Well my supervisor did not seem too pleased that I had to leave early although she is aware of my condition and for any work time I've missed I have provided her with doctors notes. At this point I'm afraid that I will be let go because of attendance issues although I work harder than most people at the company and not only fulfill all of my job duties but help out with anyone else's as well. Fall is our busy time of the year and with that comes a lot more stress in the work place, hence why I believe my symptoms have been flaring up much more, I understand that stress+ anxiety+ anxiety about potentially getting sick= Diarrhea and stomach pains. I just don't know how to deal with all of it, and I absolutely can't afford not to work. I need to put myself through at least 2 more years of school, I run a household with my boyfriend and we need to pay the bills. Speaking of social life, I've gone from being the life of the party to refusing to go to parties because of the fear of getting sick. I try my best to get out of the house but more often than not I end up getting sick and having to cancel on my friends, not sure how much longer they'll be willing to stick by me L. My boyfriend is extremely supportive of my situation, he understands that on road trips he may have to get off the high way and find a ladies room ASAP, or that sometimes we may have to leave events a little earlier than we would like. I'm very fortunate to have him by my side, he's been there since almost the beginning of my IBS journey so he understands. Many other people just don't get it, they don't understand why I can't control it, they say " well stop stressing, if you don't stress then you won't get sick" I try to explain that the main issue is the stress about getting sick that's most often the cause. To recap, I'm afraid I'm about to get fired from a job I really like because of attendance due to IBS, I need to go back to college to feel that I'm fulfilling my goals but I'm completely afraid to, I've never done the whole therapy thing but thinking I should perhaps consider it at this point… Any advice? I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Take the Poll

Can you relate to this post with your own experiances?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Partially
vote
View Poll Results

calgal37 responded:
You may want to consider being checked out for food intolerances. In a fairly decent number of cases, some with IBS have actually been found to be producing reactions to specific foods. You may want to check with a functional medicine doc who does a large amount of IgG/IgA testing for reactions to specific foods. Some typical culprits include: diary, gluten (wheat, rye and barley), eggs and soy.

pawsns responded:
So sorry that you are having all this trouble and feeling insecure about your job that you like. Sweet about your boyfriend being so supportive.

I would like to to second the other response about checking out food sensitivities. Many of us are sensitive to gluten (I think I have heard that about 30 percent of people diagnosed with IBS actually have a gluten sensitivity.) If you could find a functional doctor, that would be great, but you can also do an elimination diet on your own where you eliminate the major culprits (gluten, dairy, soy, corn, maybe tree nuts, alcohol and caffeine) Hopefully, you would feel much better by the end. You would be eating lots of vegetables, fruits, meat. There are lots of foods this time of year to fill the void......butternut squash, sweet potatoes, rice and eat lots of green leafy vegetables along with proteins. By the end of the week, you may be feeling much better. Add things back in one at a time and see how they impact you.

Most doctors don't really know what to do with this. IBS is kind a default diagnosis for a symptoms that they don't really know what the cause is. Stress can exacerbate symptoms, but it isn't the cause.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

ibsslave responded:
Oh my dear, I know exactly what you are going through. I've been in the house all day with severe diarrhea. It was triggered by my eating scrambled eggs. With this illness, it is debiitating and for me also, I have to plan my days around where the bathrooms are. It is the most misunderstood illness there it. It has progressed to every day having it several times (5-10) daily. It never fails, after my shower it triggers the diarrhea every time. Havinf severe IBS is so embarrassing because you are constantly looking for the bathroom every where we go. I have had to come home from the mall when it flared up and I ended up having an accident at the mall"026.I mean this is such a burden on your everyday life. I completely understand your situation.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.