Skip to content
How do I convince my partner to seek counseling for IBS & Depression?
An_254759 posted:
My boyfriend is having a lot of trouble with his IBS is extremely down-and-out about life because he has so many issues with is - diet, not being able to attend social functions, drinking, etc. He is losing sleep and is so angry about all of this.
I think he is severely depressed over everything. What do you think is the best way for me to approach the idea that he should seek some counseling to help him?

bigtastee responded:
He probably will get mad at you for trying to "help" him. My wife convinced me to seek counseling for my depression and she seems to think when I was going to my shrink that it helped me. I have ibs a and have been sick for 22 years. I have seen stomach doctors, shrinks and countless other doctors nothing or no one seems to help. I am also tired of living this way unfortunately I'm never going to get better. But there are things you can do to slow it down I quit drinking. Drinking is a depressant and if your depressed to begin with your just making yourself even more depressed when you drink. Your boyfriend will only get help if he wants to get help and you can't convince him otherwise
bigtastee replied to bigtastee's response:
However my stomach doctor did prescribe for me librax when I was 16 and it helped my entire life until about a year ago when I was sick of getting colonoscopys and I told him no more until they invent a machine that can scan my stomach without having to drink that unholy potion. Then he canceled my scripts and now I'm even sicker and crazier because librax is actually a pill given to people with mental problems but they use it to treat stomach problems as well. I guess I have to go back to the doctor if I want to get my medicine back,but it just don't seem fair that he would cancel it on me knowing damn well it would make me sicker. All doctors including counselors don't want to help they just want to run the expensive tests that line their pockets with the big fat stacks of green.
cmsunshine responded:
I would ask him to come with you to therapy so you can better learn how to help him, that way he'll feel as though he's doing you a favor and helping you and you'll both receive the benefit.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

An Article On Probiotics That May Be Of Interest More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.