Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My GI troubles, IBS, need support
jules1967 posted:
Hi..I m 46, mother has chrons, as well as my son. Paternal grandmother died from colon cancer, father has had several cancerous poloyps removed. I am a Veteran, who care is not the best, their way. Gall bladder removed 2 yes ago, no change for my symptoms, I had the ultrasound of g.bladder done then in Jan, the VA did not report to me too June that my ducts were blocked! Finally get them to do upper GI scope and colonoscopy, last week, which unfortunately I was wide awake and unresponsive to their sedation attempts, so I saw it all! No consult afterwards, but did discover they mailed me scripts for colestipol, and dicocyclomine, believe it is an anti cramping? I get great pain using bathroom, will have days of vomiting uncontrollably, with water as stool, become so sick for 5 to 6 days without being able to hold nothing down. My lower right quantrant has had dull pain for years but within the past

6 mos. It is moderate with each bathroom use. If someone could give me info on the first med, and advice, I d appreciate it. I see the GI doc in 3 wks..before I ll have any info regarding my tests, etc. Thank you.

sheba_q responded:
It takes time for biopsies to be checked, etc after you've been scoped so I'm not surprised that you have to wait a few weeks to see the GI for a follow up. Often they can't tell you much of anything until those tests are done. You have a family history of digestive problems, esp Crohn's, so be sure the GI knows this. If need be, get pushy to get to the bottom of this.

I looked up the meds you listed and they're pretty standard front line ones to make you more comfortable. Dicyclomine is for intestinal cramping and spasms (which can be very painful) and Colestipol is to firm up your bowels. Hopefully they'll help until you see the GI.

Sometimes sedation doesn't work for whatever reason - I've known a couple people who were scoped while awake (although one did take a Valium type med and was pretty mellow the whole time). All you can do is make sure it's known that you don't respond to 'X' medication so doctors know not to use that one with you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had tummy issues and they I remember growing up watching my mother suffer through tummy and bathroom issues. Then my daughter started sh...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.