Skip to content
Anxiety and IBS
threediamonds posted:
My 18-year-old daughter has recently been diagnosed with IBS. We're still trying to figure out which foods are causing problems but one thing we're sure about is that anxiety and stress are a definite trigger. This weekend she's trying out for cheer leading at the college she'll be attending this fall. Already, Thursday, she's having "episodes" where she can barely make it to the bathroom in time. Besides probiotics and Bentyl, can anyone recommend any other techniques or non-prescription supplements that might work? We've tried peppermint pills but she can't stand the taste of anything mint flavored.

Thanks!

calgal37 responded:
If you're using peppermint, make sure it's enteric coat so that it will open and work in the intestinal tract. Once it gets past the stomach it's easier to handle for some individuals.

Try taking all gluten (wheat, rye and barley - and watch out for hidden sources) and dairy out of her diet and see if that helps. It's very helpful in some individuals. If it helps, have her tested for food intolerance issues which can present as a variety of different conditions such as IBS, GERD, asthma, etc.

An_254991 responded:
Hi, my 16 year son is struggling with this too. We found a counselor that specializes in teaching coping skills for anxiety/stress, that has helped. Another big trigger that we didn't realize until recently - large helpings and eating too fast. We've learned the hard way that smaller portions help alot and even when he's hungry, to eat a small amount, wait 30 min and then have another small amount. Its tough when we all know teenagers can pack away food! Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have no idea what is wrong with me and that's the problem. I have a sluggish gallbladder, slow motility, severe digestive problems and no diagno...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.