Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
This has got to stop!
lsayonara posted:
I've had IBS for years. I am self diagnosed with the support of my doctor. My trigger tends to be stress, and I've been working towards reducing that. The IBS was occasional until last year when all of a sudden it became a case of constant diarrhea. My doctor gave me orders for Lomotil and probiotics. The Lomotil calmed things down some, but the probiotics only seemed to make things worse. I took myself off the lomotil after a while and tried to manage my stress and cut out the foods I knew would definitely cause trouble. Things have not really returned to normal, but the amount of water and mucus in my stool has decreased to a point where it's not watery but "fluffy" instead.

Today was not a good day and when the urge hit after lunch I almost didn't make it to the ladies' room. Today was a real let down and I had to take one of the lomotil I'd saved to get myself home from work. I put in a call to my doc to have the script refilled. I have much longed for vacation time coming next week and a much anticipated camping trip that I'm realizing I'm stressing over.

Just having a crappy day (pardon the pun) and need someone to reassure me this won't last forever and there is hope for GI calm after this stormy year!

calgal37 responded:
Isayonara, have you ever been tested for food intolerance issues? Many people have found that their problem with IBS is actually a problem with certain foods or food groups. Some common ones are gluten (wheat, rye and barley), dairy, soy and eggs. Food allergies aren't as 'simple' as some seem to think. They're actually the result of the immune system putting out antibodies against foods the digestive system considers 'invaders.' Not only is the food attacked by the antibodies, but the tissues and organs of the body can also be attacked. So if you have any other symptoms like headaches, joint pain, skin issues, brain fog, depression, anxiety, etc., you might want to consider getting yourself check for food allergies.

In fact, I believe there was a recent recommendation that children with diarrhea issues be checked for celiac disease, since 1/4 of those with diarrhea were found not to have 'simple diarrhea' but instead to have gluten issues. Diarrhea doesn't have to be a result of celiac disease, it can also be a result of a new category of GI problem that's falling into a category called non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity as well as other 'food allergies.'

Have your doc check further.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed at 16 yrs old with a nervous stomache and spastic colon. I am now 73 and I still have constipation/diahrea every few weeks. I asume it...More

Helpful Tips

Squatting really help!!!
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.