Skip to content
Lower left stomach pain. Been through all tests, doctors dont know what it is
liorl posted:
Hi, I am a 29 year old female.
For year now, I have been have pain in my lower left abdominal area. To be more precise, it is to the lower left of my belly button. The pain is constant and sometimes throbbing.

I have done many tests already to find out what could be causing the pain. I have done a CT scan, a colonoscopy and a endoscopy, to which all results came back as saying nothing is wrong and that I am fine.
The problem is that I am not fine. I have pains basically everyday. The last doctor said that I have IBS. So about 2 weeks ago, I started this diet called the FODMAPS diet which is supposed to limit certains types of sugars and other things.
Well, since I started the diet, the pain is still here and its just as bad and maybe even worse sometimes.

I really dont know what to do here, I have done all the tests I needed to do. I dont know if its IBS to be quite honest.
Once a week I fast for the entire day, just drinking water. It helps. So I do believe it had something to do with food.

Also sex with my husband can be painful at certain angles, which I attribute to my stomach pain.

Also, when I do have the pain, the stomach does look a little bloated. Something is definitely going on down there.

Can anybody help me out?

Thank you.

bobmcdon responded:
I have many of the same symptoms as you and after a year of every test you can think of I Was prescribed hyoscyamine. It was a huge relief. It didn't solve all my problems but my pain is mostly gone and I can function a lot better. I still don't know what is causing this and I'm going to keep looking until I find out what it is. Hope this helps you. It sure helped me.

ohana37 responded:
I've had IBS-C for years as well as other GI issues. For many years(almost 10) I had the same type of left side pain--it would get worse at night, especially after eating dinner. I eat healthy but that didn't seem to make any difference. I had all the tests they could throw at me...nothing-just told me IBS. Finally after 2 visits to the hospital ED ---my primary care doctor(not GI docs) suggested an abdominal CT. I had it done and it turned out to be a problem with my gallbladder--it was packed with gallstones! No one before this even thought to check for this--the pain was on the wrong side and I wasn't your typical gallbladder candidate. I was fairly thin, ate healthy so that wasn't on the doctors radar. The radiologist was even shocked-he came right out and spoke to me-said when he saw me coming into the room he thought it was going to be a waste of time! Well, had my gallbladder out --that was 10 years ago---those long nights of terrible pain --which were gallbladder attacks are gone. However, I still have ongoing issues with having IBS and the pain when it gets bad is always on the left side?? It's not as frequent as it was before I had the gallbladder removed but still get it--that's why I'm just sharing my story --not saying this is what you have by any means but I had asked 2 different doctors to check my gallbladder and they stated--"It's not your gallbladder--that's on your right side!" Until they find that "magic pill" that will help us with IBS...I do the best I can to keep things in check! Fingers crossed! Good luck to you!

seafairy responded:
liorl,

I feel for you.
I have had a colonoscopy, MRI & two vaginal sonograms which lead to a robotic hysterectomy. The left side pain continues. It feels more like menstrual pain more than anything else. I eat 2 — 3 yogurts per day and you must remember that you do not need to poop every day I have found that when I awake I drink at least 8 ozs of water within the first 30 minutes of the day. (You have been asleep and no reason to start your day dehydrated.) Also I started taking Midol which actually seems to help a lot. My complaint has always been that it felt like menstrual cramps. The Midol does help.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! Well i'm a mother of 1 (hopefully to 2 soon) to a wonderful beautiful daughter, i'm married to a wonderful husband, and I am pentecosta...More

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.