Skip to content
Spot blood from urethra HELP
jessi19661 posted:
I have a strange question, I have searched the net and cannot find anyone ever posting this....hope someone can help!!

I was changing clothes yesterday and I noticed in my panties the usual sign that I am starting my period. But also, aside from the spotting that is clearly from the vagina, there was a spot of blood stain where the urine comes out, at the urethra! It was clearly a couple inches above the vaginal area, it was where it would have come out of the urinary tract. Please don't say it was just period blood that got smeared there, it definately was not. Then I went to put on clean underwear, and since I was starting I used an old pair that had been stained before as to not stain a good pair. WELL.....I noticed the stain in the clean undies had a blood stain at the same area-- the urethral opening!!! It also had old period stains, but this is way above there and it is not vaginal blood. It was about a centimeter in diameter and clearly was blood.

Has ANYONE ever had this?? I have no idea if I have ever had blood in the urine stream or the toilet because I have grade 4 internal prolapsed hemmorhoids and there is often blood in the toilet water from that, so I wouldn't know if it came from the rectum or was in the urine..... Please please help! I also do have urgency, and frequency and pain at times but it is often not a UTI.......I am worried it could be bladder cancer. I also had a kidney stone a couple years ago.

THANK YOU!! jess

jessi19661 responded:
I forgot to mention that I have had a couple episodes in the past 6 months or so where I had to urinate and it just WENT!!! I had absolutely NO CONTROL!!!! But only 2 or 3 times has it happened. And hasn't happened in about 4 months.........help!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
You need to see your doctor. It is impossible to diagnose over the internet. It can be related to your back issues, medications, UTI, or kidney stones or none of the above.

Christy477 responded:
Jess, I know that this was six months ago, but have you figured out what it may be? I have had the same symptoms while on my period over the last 10 months or so. I had a miscarriage in April, and when I was pregnant (was only maybe a few weeks when miscarried) this symptom started. I thought that maybe it had to do with the pregnancy. I look forward to hearing what your outcome was. I, too, have been searching everywhere online for anyone else with this issue.

Thanks!

kristine2001 responded:
Did you ever get any answers? when I am on my period 95 percent of my period goes through my urethra. I do have endometriosis and currently going to be checked for bladder endo. Alot of drs dont beleive me so im trying to find anyone else with this issue.

raylenek responded:
Have you ever found out what the problem is? I too have this same symptoms. Definitly not vaginal. I have been to a Urologist and was told that my kidneys we fine, no ploblems. When I return to my GP he, kind of shrugged like he must have beleive it was vaginal or that it wasn't really happening. There must be something causing this. I am post meniposal.I have to admit I'm concerned. This has been going on, off and on ever since I had a bacterial infection 6 months ago.

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website