Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
incontinence dealing with it
diaperjamie posted:
my name is jamie and ben dealing with incontinence for a while now and i come to accept it.i seen many urologist over past 5yrs and they couldn't help me out.until i found a urologist about a year ago and she understand my problem also can help me to.she has me taking meds,going to bathroom every 2 hours. that seems to help alot but i still need to wear diapers 24/7 because i still have accidents.the diapers are for my protection and comfort.i don't choice to wear them i have too!!!!!!!!!!!.my doctor is not sure why i have this problem but she will be support of me.

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
I am very sorry to hear about your incontinence problem. I cannot tell by your email if you have had all the possible different treatments that are available for incontinence. I am assuming you have tried drug therapy and behavioral treatments? Urologists are wonderful but you may benefit by seeing an urologist with a nurse practitioner who specializes in incontinence management. That is my role here at Pen Urology.

diaperjamie responded:
hi,about my treatments i had bio-feed back,urodynamc meds treatments,they gave my doctor some in sight to my problem.diapers are the only sense of security for me.i don't have the sensation that i need to let me know when it time to go to the bathroom.i only know if i want is when i feel my diaper getting wet.if you or anyone has suggestion please let know asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!.the only thing that does work for me is wearing diapers. do you think i shouldn't be wearing diapers if so,then what??????? diapers are my only options it seems.some people still don't think i should be in diapers.i just wish that people would understand that i don't choice to wear diapers!!!,i have too!!! any question email me at jwwebpage@yahoo.com thanks jamie

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP replied to diaperjamie's response:
There may be other options for you than diapers -- there are many new products available other than diapers. I can't tell by your messages whether you are male or female -- it would help to know since the products are quite different for each gender.

diaperjamie replied to Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP's response:
my name is jamie and i a male.i try pull ups and underwear they don't work for me.i wet right threw them.disposables diapers work the best on me.what other products do you mean? i take it you don't think i should be wearing diapers,why?if you are an expert in this filed then why don't you understand that i try everything else,and the only think that helps me are diapers.i wear diapers for my protection and security.i have no control or sensation over my bladder what so ever.so if i didn't wear diapers i would wet my pants every day and that wouldn't be fun.so my options are to wear diapers 24/7 or have wet pants i choice diapers.you may not agree with me but that my choice. any question email at jwwebpage@yahoo.com

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP replied to diaperjamie's response:
There are other options for men like yourself who have baldder control problems and incontinence. Men can use an external "condom" catheter. An external "condom" catheter (sometimes called a "sheath" or "Texas" catheter) is used by men to collect urine that leaks. This catheter fits over the penis and connects to a drainage bag that straps to your leg. These can be either disposable or reusable.

Another very popular option is the afex system. This consists of a collection system built into special underwear. It's very discreet and extremely popular. You can read more about afex here .

diaperjamie replied to Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP's response:
jamie here,catheter i have alot of trouble with and i'm not going to wear external condom because they may leak.how do you empty them with out making a mass.when i go it's alot and i don't think what you offer would work for me.like i said diapers are the only thing that will work for me.i don't understand why you can't expect that diapers are best option for me.what wrong with me wearing diapers? you work in medical field you should be more understanding and caring who have this problem.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to diaperjamie's response:
Jamie-
I think Ms Newman is doing her best to give you some alternatives, which is what you asked for in your original post. It sounds to me like she does understand and has given you some suggestions for you to discuss with your doctor.

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website