Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting up at night to go
Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP posted:
Do you get up in the night to urinate? Getting out of bed at night to urinate (nocturia) is a fairly common problem in older adults. I'd like to hear from the group about whether they have this problem and how often they get up in the night. Please take our new poll and tell us about your nighttime trips to the bathroom.

Take the Poll

How many times do you get up in the night to urinate?
  • I always make it through the night without having to go.
  • I get up to urinate less than once a week and just once per night
  • I have to get up just about every night at least once.
  • I get up to urinate every night two or three times.
  • I get up every night three or more times. It's a real problem.
vote
View Poll Results

DickUSA responded:
As, per the survey, 50% of hose responding get up a least three times a night to urinate.

Hopefully there are members that have found some way to treat this problem without a prescription.

The cause of having to urinate so much at night is that the bladder is not emptied at each urination....sounds reasonable. However it seems that during the day for the same time period (8 hrs.) the frequency of urination is LESS than at night. I would have to test this hypothesis to be sure that the statement is correct

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP replied to DickUSA's response:
It is not necessarily the case that the person who gets up at night is not emptying their bladder at each urination. The reason why a person gets up more frequently at night is because, as we grow older, the kidneys produce more urine so there is more urine in your bladder, thus you awaken more at night. But getting up at night may be caused by other things such as sleep apnea, extra fluid from congestive heart failure and even drinking a cocktail before going to bed or during the evening hours.

DickUSA replied to Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP's response:
Diane:
Thank you for your informative response to my email.
My initial comment must have come from my engineering background which always gets me in "trouble" with the medical experts.
I have a known (test results from ultasound) that I do not empty my blader at each time of urination.
I will now try to help my kidneys out although have "tried "to reduce my intake of fluids after evenming meal..will try harder !!
Maybe keep a log of ml intake of liquid vs frequency of getting up..
There goes that engineering mind process..much to complicated.

Thank you again for your repy.

Dick

aguidette responded:
I have always had a urination problem at night, a bed-wetter as a child, now that I am in my 70's I get up at least four time if not more a night, it is beginning to take its toll I am exhausted , I have really tried to limit my fluid intake after 7p and my fruit intake..I need some help, I had mention it to my Dr. and she wanted to give me some medication, I already take many medications and really would like a little more information about what is going on with me before i take anymore medications..tired and getting depressed. help. During the day I am fine with only two urinations during a eight hr. period not a problem going during the day mostly at night.

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website