Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can incontinence be caused from vibrators?
Tracey2010 posted:
I was wondering can the use of a vibrator lead to incontinence? Do the vibrations weaken the muscles?

Are there any other health concerns associated with the use of a vibrator (other than UTI's and other cleanliness issues)?

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
There has never been any research that shows a correlation between a vibrator and incontinence. I am not sure why a vibrator would cause incontinence but I suggest you do pelvic floor muscle exercises so that you keep this muscle strong.

Weldor01 replied to Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP's response:
Does it make a difference whether or not she reaches orgasm? I had a girlfriend who would wet alittle almost every time she orgasmed, but was otherwise completely continent.

Being of the male persuasion myself, I don't know the muscles involved in the female orgasm- do they have an impact on the bladder or urethra?

I remember seeing something on a Discovery Health TV show about this, but I cannot remember the details. Maybe the Berman & Berman show?

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Weldor01's response:
Weldor-could the "wet" every time she orgasmed just been female ejaculation?

hazeleyes139 responded:
Hi Tracey2010,

I've been searching the net for answers for my current situation.
I asked myself the same questions a few months ago when my husband and I started to experiment with a vibrator. Which is when I noticed a sudden loss in bladder control.
I've had UTI infections and this is nothing like my current symptoms. I'm somewhat afraid to go to the doctor and they tell me it's something more serious.
We've stopped using the vibrator but I still have the symptoms of urgency incontinence.
Hope you see my message and reply.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to hazeleyes139's response:
Go to the doctor. It could be a case of "honeymoon cystitis" caused by the vibrator.

Be sure to check our Urinary Incontinence in Women Guide for ideas on home treatment and possible causes.
~Louise "The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." Alfred Hitchcock

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP replied to hazeleyes139's response:
Not sure why a vibrator would cause incontinence. Are you sure you do not have a urinary tract infection? Do you urinate before having sex?

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website