Skip to content
Urine Color
Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP posted:
Has your urine ever been an odd color? What color?
Did you wonder if you needed to tell your doctor about it?

Normal urine can range in color from pale yellow (almost colorless) to deep amber. Dark amber urine is usually very concentrated and means that you should be drinking more water. Foods, medications and even vitamins can change the color of urine temporarily but eliminating the cause brings the color back to normal. Most changes in urine color are harmless and the color will go back to normal within a day or two.

Some colors require more attention:
  • A reddish tinge can mean that blood is present in the urine—or it can mean that you just ate beets or blackberries (urine color tends to turn purplish red afterwards.) If the reddish tinge continues over several days, after you've eliminated foods that may be causing the color, you should mention it to your primary care provider.

• Greenish urine can mean that you have a urinary tract infection but if it's bright green, it can mean that you have too much of B vitamins. Certain drugs and some health conditions can cause urine to turn green, too, so mention this to your health care professional.

• Urine with a bluish tint can mean some type of bacterial infection or may just mean that you have a high level of calcium. If this persists, give your health care professional a call.

• Brown urine can indicate a potentially serious condition and you should contact your doctor's office for help. Sometimes laxatives can temporarily turn urine brown but if this dark color stays, get it checked out.

bestfrien responded:
I'm concerned about my bff, her urine is a dark borwn or black, when I emity her bag. She has Leukemia, and has had it for a very long time. I am concerned about her urine changing color's

tibbsttt responded:
my urine turns white after drying like milk white i have also lost alot of weight in three weeks peeing 9 to 10 times a day with urgencey and im very weak im so thursty my legs hurt my joints are stiff neck too

Helpful Tips

Diet and Incontinence
Did you know that dietary changes like avoiding chocolate and soda can help reduce incontinence? More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website