Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Catheter use
An_191876 posted:
I have read on the internet that if a person has a catheter in for more than two months, that the persons bladder will be permanantly damaged. They will have to be cathetered for the rest of their life. Is this true?

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
There is no medical research that supports what you say, that having a catheter in for more than 2 months will damage the bladder. However, catheters that stay in (called indwelling urinary catheters or "Foleys") should only be used for a short period of time which has been defined as less than 30 days. If a person cannot void, then a catheter is necessary but an indwelling one is used until it is determined why the person cannot empty the bladder. IF it can't be reversed, then the person is taught to perform "self-catheterization" when the catheter is inserted several times a day and removed after the urine is drained from the bladder.

leonkreb responded:
I had mine in for almost 2 months after 2 surgeries on my spine. Now I am doing it my own. Will I ever go on my own or awill I be like those catherter guys on the tv for the rest of my life?

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website