Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Urinary retention and distended bladder
An_191877 posted:
My urologist told me that if the medication he has put me on does not help me void, that I would have to learn to self cath twice a day. I am in my early 40's/F. How common is this in someone my age? What is the prognosis?

I have had two ultrasounds and a ct. I have a very distended bladder that held over 1400 cc prior to voiding. After voiding twice I had residual urine. The ct noted distended bladder. One ultrasound showed mild hydrophrenosis in one kidney.

I had a uroflow test, and overflowed the beaker and still had a full bladder. So, he put me on Tamsulosin (even though its for men, he wanted to see if it helps me)..

I am nearing the end of the month and don't think this med has helped. So, I'm figuring I'll have to self cath.

What are the chances that my bladder will colapse after cathing for the first time (because it is so distended)?

Are there any other medications out there that treat urinary retention?

Are there any therapies out there that could help this condition?

Will my bladder eventually go back to a normal size after cathing for a while?

What are some causes of urinary retention? I'm unsure what has caused this. I initially went the the doctor due to flank pain left and right then they found this.

Will I have to cath for the rest of my life?

Thank You for your time.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
You have asked some very important questions which I will try to answer.

What are the chances that my bladder will colapse after cathing for the first time (because it is so distended)?
If you have a distended bladder and cannot empty it less than 100 mLs then you need to self-cath. You need to understand what the underlying cause of your bladder dysfunction. Do you have some kind of neurologic disease (e.g. MS) that caused this? Di d you have some type of trauma like a car accident? As you are young, there must be a reason your bladder has stopped functioning.

Are there any other medications out there that treat urinary retention?
The medications that your urologist prescribed are the only ones that have been shown to help with voiding.

Are there any therapies out there that could help this condition?
Pelvic floor exercises and pelvic floor muscle electrical stimulation may be helpful.

Will my bladder eventually go back to a normal size after cathing for a while?
It depends on the cause of your urinary retention and I do not see the cause in your message. I suggest you ask your urologist to send you to see a neurologist.

What are some causes of urinary retention? I'm unsure what has caused this. I initially went the the doctor due to flank pain left and right then they found this.
Neurologic conditions such as MS can cause it or an acute episode of genital herpes. There are many causes.

Will I have to cath for the rest of my life?
It depends on the cause.

An_191878 replied to Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP's response:
I am currently on the same boat with you! I am at a loss because doctors cannot find an underlying cause for the retention in my case either, Although I have not seen a neurologist, my urologist said that because of common patterns that they see with MS patients in urodynamic testing that MS is unlikely in my case. Let me know how you fare, I am currently taking a new medication as the tamulosin did nothing for myself as well. I am now on a medication that will help my bladder wall muscles contract when I urinate and also continue to intermittenly catheterize myself as well, although not as often as you. I only do it about 1 a week.

KenJrWeb replied to Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP's response:
Several years ago Sciatica set in. X-Rays showed a calcium buildup on my spine in the lumbar area pressing against my nerves. I didn't specifically mention Sciatic nerve because my question involves neurogenic bladder.

In the same timeframe my bladder started becoming overfull (1200 ml) and spilling over at night (no sense of needing to pee). I had the green light laser version of TURP (opening up the urinary tract path through the prostate - thus easier to pee). But I've since learned that when I pee, say, 500ml, there's still 500 or so ml left in my bladder (I've logged it during the Bethanechol program - cath'd as much as 770 ml after peeing 580 ml).

Took Bethanechol Chloride for two weeks to see if it would maybe make a difference. It didn't.

My Urologist prescribed 4 times a day catheterizing for the rest of my life (I'm 73).

In my internet research I have not found a relationship between Sciatica and Neurogenic bladder. But I have learned that the nerves affecting my bladder also travel down my spinal column. The nerve compression is up around my 4th lumbar (as I remember it). Is it possible that this calcium buildup compresses against both my Sciatic nerve and the nerves associated with bladder compression? Or is it just coincidence that that both issues came up at about the same time (Sciatica .. and .. Neurogenic bladder - flaccid bladder - distended bladder .. not sure what to call it)?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to KenJrWeb's response:
Hello KenJrWeb and thanks for posting. Unfortunately, we no longer have a health expert on this community.

If you are seeking a second opinion, I would encourage you to make an appointment with another urologist. That way you can bring all your records, tests, scans, plus discuss your history and be examined in person.

Best wishes,

Byroney

Ashlynlee replied to An_191878's response:
Can you or ANYONE tell me what the medication is called that helps the bladder wall muscles contract when urinatning? My husband now takes Tamulosin, and that seems to be much less effective now. Thank you so much!

TDXSP08 replied to Ashlynlee's response:
Tamulosin is FLOWMAX and it is an ALPHA BLOCKER

raykli responded:
I had an extremely stretched bladder and my urologist said I would have to deal with it for the rest of my life. I started taking very small amounts (4 drops H2O2 in 5 ounces of water, 1 ounce apple cider vinegar and 1 TBS honey) of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide, daily. Within several months my bladder had returned to normal size and function.

berg2746 responded:
I just got on this site and so your post.
I have the same problem. I had retention of 1500ml when I went to the urologist. I went through all of the tests, had the bag put on, went thru self-cathing and then he did the TURP on me. It worked but I still have retention problems and self-cath when I have no choice. Sometimes once a day or less.
I was hoping some kind of supplements would strengthen the bladder.
Good luck.

berg2746 replied to MARILYN2's response:
Hi Marilyn. I just joined and saw your post and Rayki's. I have retention too and an extended bladder. I'm going to try what he posted. I hate cathing. Good luck.
BERG2746@YAHOO.COM

berg2746 replied to raykli's response:
I read your post and was wondering if that was tap water or distilled water that you used. I'd appreciate your response.
Thanks

Helpful Tips

Diet and Incontinence
Did you know that dietary changes like avoiding chocolate and soda can help reduce incontinence? More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website