Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hippylovr6977 posted:
I am 51 years old. I have had 3 births and I am a smoker. Slightly over weight but not obese. I had leaking problems and had a urethral sling surgery in Jan. of this year. I am right back to where I was before the surgery. I leak when I pick up something heavy, yell, trip over something, sneeze, cough. Basically, all the time. I have a very stressful job and have to wear white pants with my shirt tucked in. Which when I leak, it is REALLY stressful. I read about the surgery on your site and it talks about recovery time because of the stitches. I did not have any incisions made at all. My stitches were all inside. I spent 1 night in the hospital and was back to work in 3 weeks. This does not sound like what you are talking about. Are there different types of urethral sling surgeries? I have an appointment to see my Dr. in 3 weeks. Will doctors do this surgery more than once? If not, what is left? I am having a hard time with depression because of this. My marriage is on the breaking point because I am afraid that I smell like urine or I will leak during sex. Please help.
whitedogx1 responded:
I have no advice to offer, just that I know how you feel, I feel the same way about the smell and leaking during sex. Your not the only one. I would love to know what to do about that. I hope all works out and your Dr has answers for you. Hang in there.
Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
I think you should try a very structured pelvic floor muscle training program with biofeedback and electrical stimulation. I would see either a nurse practitioner like myself who specializes in pelvic floor dysfunction or a physical therapist who has been trained in this area. Another surgical procedure is probably not going to solve your problem but muscle training can.

The following URL provides information on these exercises but you need supervised treatment:

Helpful Tips

Overactive Bladder ? Don?t Suffer in SilenceExpert
Considered abnormal at any age, overactive bladder is a very common condition that affects both men and women but is more common in women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 42 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website