Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sanctura XR for children
oumomof2 posted:
My 3 year old has starting seeing an urologist due to reoccuring UTI's. She has already had a bladder ultrasound and VCUG which were normal. The doctor put her on Ditropan first. But she got overheated within 10 minutes playing inside that it scared me as a mom. So the doctor gave her Sanctura XR to try. She is supposed to take 1/2 capsule daily.

I asked the nurse and she said that none of the bladder medicines have been tested on children.

Is this safe to give to my 3 year old?

Thanks in advance!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
According to our information on RXlist : "The safety and effectiveness of SANCTURA® in pediatric patients have not been established." But, most medications say that for children, even ones commonly used by children. The nurse quite correctly stated, they don't generally test drugs on children.

What I would ask the doctor is how many pediatric patients in his practice have taken this medication and ask for information about their experiences. You should also ask him about other pediatric post marketing information he might have seen.

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
The only drug that has been approved for children is oxybutynin or Ditropan but the other drugs may be prescribed by doctors in doses appropriate for children. At age 3, your daughter is young. Has she seen a pediatric urologist?

Helpful Tips

Diet and Incontinence
Did you know that dietary changes like avoiding chocolate and soda can help reduce incontinence? More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website