Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
My OAB
fanficactress posted:
I have been suffering from OAB for about 6 years but got diagnosed with it back in febuary 2010. I am so tired of peeing every 10 minutes, leaking before I can reach the bathroom, and occasionally being unable to wake at night to get up to go to the bathroom (Which is incredicably embrassing)

I'm 19 years old. I will be 20 in January. I am trying to get pregnant so I can't take any medications to help control it and i don't want to be in diapers while I wait for my child to be in diapers once I do get pregnant. Which brings me to my question.

I want the most effect form of results which has brought my attention to the Urethal Sling or whatever. I know it is a surgery but I shouldn't have to suffer like this at my age.

I want to know if it will effect anything down below with trying to get pregnant with this surgery?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
  • Have you done all the lifestyle changes encouraged to help with OAB?
  • Do you do Kegels?
  • Have you tried biofeedback training?
  • Do you avoid the foods that worsen symptoms altogether?
  • Are you overweight?
The problem with surgery is that it only corrects one type of incontinence and it can be undone by pregnancy (and possibly cause problems during pregnancy). Most of the literature suggests that all incontinence related surgery be delayed until after the last pregnancy. Of course, your doctor would be the best place to get information tailored just to your needs.

fanficactress replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am overweight but that is do to my PCOS.

I have done Kegels everyday and it just makes me have to pee.

I don't know of any foods, so what foods should i stay away from?

And I have an appointment with a Urologist on the 5th of October. This is was made while I was at my OB.

and What lifestyle changes? The only thing I do is drink soda, but water does the same thing soda does and that makes me Urinate. I know that I should stay away from soda but I can't train myself to not want it.

But even at night, I still get up multiple times at night even if I don't drink anything before I go to bed.

Thank you for the reply, and I hope you reply to this one.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to fanficactress's response:
Check the link about foods in my questions...it gives a basic list of foods that worsen incontinence.

Lifestyle changes like bladder retraining, not smoking, losing weight, exercise, increasing fiber, etc.

Giving up the soda and losing the weight through exercise and diet will be a much better (and easier) step to take to reduce the incontinence and OAB than surgery. Weight loss can be achieved with PCOS. (and will be important in your efforts to have a baby)

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
At your age and as you want to have children, sling surgery for your symptoms should not be done. Also, sling surgery will not help urinary urgency which seems to be your problem. I suggest you try behavioral treatment which includes diet modification, bladder training and pelvic floor muscle exercises.

As suggested by others, please review some of my tips:

Specific Foods that May Worsen Incontinence Symptoms

Bladder retraining
Kegel quick start sheet

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website