Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
UTI for the third time!
jennilb5685 posted:
Hi. Let me give you a little background info. I'm 25 years old and would consider myself in good health. About a month and a half ago to maybe 2 months ago I woke up in the middle of the night with an extreme pain near my right kidney. It was more like extreme pressure rather than a shooting pain but hurt nonetheless, I was on the fence about going to emergency room (I don't like hospitals) so I toughed it out until I could go to the walk in clinic near my house. (It was Sat. so I couldn't go to a doctor) He did a urinalysis and said I have a bladder infection, I thought that was odd since I was hurting in my kidney not my bladder but he said the bacteria can go through the urinary tract to both the bladder and the kidney. I've never had a UTI or any other type infection like this so I was thinking at the time I'm hurting too bad to be an infection but he adamately said it was an infection. So he sent me home with an antibiotic. Within about 10 minutes of leaving the office, my pain increased and stayed that way for hours. I took the antiobiotic as soon as I left the office but I didn't get any relief until the next morning. Everyone told me it sounded like a kidney stone not an infection. So anyway, the pain went away once I started taking the antiobiotics regularly. About 3 weeks ago this exact same thing happened again and I went to a doctors office this time and she said the same thing but she said I have a kidney infection and gave me an antiobiotic shot as well as a prescription for another set of antiobiotics. And it too went away within a day of taking them. Now I can feel it yet again coming back this morning.. I have a little pressure under my bladder not near my kidney. I mean I just don't understand they keep giving me antiobiotics but shouldn't they be figuring out why I keep getting this bacteria / infection??? I'm only 25 and I know one of the main reasons for UTI is having sex but I have not had any type of sexual contact since a good while before the first incident so that shouldn't have caused any of this. I do not drink soft drinks, I drink a lot of water and always have. I'm just not sure why I keep getting this infection and why the doctors don't think its odd like I do. What are your thoughts???

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you changed your diet in anyway? Do you completely empty your bladder when you urinate? Have you noticed any odor or change in color in your urine? Many things can cause UTI/Kidney infections. Be your own advocate and press the discussion again with your doctor.

Ambermyers responded:
I'm 26 and It sounds like we are going through the same thing. I have had frequent UTI's for years. I just had a urine culture done and they found a resistant strand of e coli in my urine. So the bactrium they gave me wouldn't do anything for that strand of ecoli. I'm 100mg of microban twice a day now. My advice to you is to ask for a culture next time to see what bacteria is causing the infection. So you can get the right antibiotic and you'll have some relief. Also you can ask for a blood test to see if you have stones. For prevention of UTI's cranberry pills or juice every day will help the bacteria not stick to the walls of your bladder.

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
If you keep having what we call "recurrent UTIs" you need a cystoscopy so they can determine why they keep occurring. I am assuming these have bee diagnosed with a urine culture and sensitivity so they know what organism (bacteria) that needs treated and what antibiotic it is sensitive to? UTIs in women though is very common. Maybe ask your doctor about taking something to prevent these infections, like Hiprex and Vitamin C which we prescribe for women who get repeated infections. But first, they have been studied with cystoscopy and retrograde ultrasound.

Louramaille responded:
I have had the same issue since i was 15 and it started the same way as you. Went in a year or so back and they did the culture and found the e coli like the other person who replied. This cought me WAY off gaurd as how does a bacteria like that get there.
Well here is the odd question, most people dont even think about, but my nurse mother - in - law knew exactly why.
" do you wipe front to back or back to front ?" We dont often think about it, or even pay attention.
E coli and other food bacteria are aften rejected by our digestive track and flushed out of our system as waste. Even thou our tract is able to fight them, the more sensitive areas like the bladder or urinary tract cant, which is why they are fought before getting there. Once they are there however they are hard to fight.

I took the antibiotics they prescribed for it, and started paying ALOT more attention and i have only had minor flairs now and again, rather then the BAD ones all the time.

Helpful Tips

Diet and Incontinence
Did you know that dietary changes like avoiding chocolate and soda can help reduce incontinence? More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website