Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Digestive Disorders Community.
Includes Expert Content
Incontinence, Long Term Care Facility and Chronic UTIs
mkusnir1 posted:
My father, a resident at a long term care facility, is 78, has had a stroke, suffers from full left side paralysis and is incontinent. He suffers from repeated bladder infections (UTIs), at least eight or nine in the last five years, several of which have put him in the hospital, one of which put him in ICU.

He has seen a a urologist (no significant issues) and has been put on nitrofurantoin on a daily basis, yet he is still getting UTIs.

Can this number of UTIs be seen as typical for a man in this condition? Is his incontinence at fault, or might there be issues at the care facility playing a role?

Any help appreciated!

Mark

nwsnowrider responded:
Depending on the type and extent of paralysis he has, the paralysis could be part of the cause. If his paralysis affects his ureters ( the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder) or his uretheral valves, it could cause backups, or a pathway for bacteria. Also, how he manages his incontinence can affect UTI frequency. If he uses a catheter or a condom catheter, or anything like that with a collection bag, this could be a cause of UTI's. If you were to couple this with a paralysis of a uretheral sphincter, it could even amplify the problem.
If he is using absorbent products, make sure he is using a quality, high absorbency brief such as the Active Ultra Plus. Most nursing homes don't use these due to a higher cost, but the cost is definitely worth it. I use these myself and have not had 1 UTI or any skin breakdown. I bought them from http://www.activewithincontinence.com and they do sell sample packs. So give them a try. You might also have him start drinking cranberry juice everyday. Not the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail, but real cranberry juice. We get it from Trader Joe's but I have found it in the organic section at Fred Meyer as well. Good luck!!!!!

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
It is unusual to see repeated UTIs in a man. The incontinence is not causing the infections. Are you sure that they have adequately treated his infection? What is the organism?

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website