Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Digestive Disorders Community.
Includes Expert Content
waking up to use the washroom at night?
An_191901 posted:
Is it common for men in their late twenties to wake up to use the washroom or does my BF have a prostate enlargement issue?

1. He wakes up around 3am uses the washroom, but then does not go to sleep for an hour or so which makes him get up late in the morning. Is this normal?

2. What advise can I give him to remove this habit? He does not consume water/food after 7pm at night and sleeps around 10:30 so I feel he has enough time to empty his bladder for an 8hour sleep

3. Recently, his prostate gland was large. He went to the doctor, got his urine tested and was told his urine has lot of bacteria. He took some antibiotics, got retested and the doctor mentioned his urine had lot less bacteria than before. Could it be something serious?

4. How do men get bacteria in their urine?

He is vegetarian(if it matters) and eats lot of vegetables.

When he visited his doctor the first time, the doctor did the milking of prostate(he inserted his finger through the rectum and felt his prostate and my BF felt like urinating). He did a urine test and the doctor did not find any symptoms of prostate cancer in his urine. My BF is only 29.

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
It does sound as though your friend has either a urinary tract infection or an enlarged prostate. He needs to talk with his doctor.

There are other reasons why someone has to get up frequently at night. It could be due to sleep apnea. It could also be due to what a person drinks in the evening as some foods/drinks (like caffeinated ones and alcohol) are natural diuretics which make a person urinate more frequently.

There are many medications that can help these symptoms. They include a skin patch called Oxytrol, a skin gel called Gelnique and 5 pills called Detrol LA, Ditropan XL, Toviaz, Sanctura, Vesicare and Enablex.

Talk with your doctor and tell him or her what problems you are having with your bladder.

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website