Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Urine retention in the bladder
AmbotKo posted:
I was diagnosed with kidney failure in May 2010, due to hydronephrosis caused by an enlarged prostate. I wore a foley catheter all Summer, and about 2mos ago while living in MI, the foley was replaced by a SP catheter and at the same time they did a PVP procedure on my prostate.

My Urologists in MI measured the amount of urine retained in my bladder (almost 400ml), and indicated that my bladder shouldn't be retaining any more than 100ml tops if I remember correctly. They suggested I wait until January 2011 before I start clamping off the catheter and urinating normally, then opening the SP line to see how much urine is retained.

I've moved to FL recently and the Urologist here told me that urine retention up to 500ml is okay without concern about the urine backup affecting anything.

100ml vs 500ml is quite a difference. The Drs in MI wouldn't have accepted that much, in fact during my last visit there there before the SP procedure, they changed their minds about me going home w/o a foley just to see how well I did on my own when it was apparent I was still retaining about 400ml, but the Dr here now doesn't think retaining up to 500ml is a concern.

I'm on dialysis 3x a week btw, and not on a water restriction. I'm urinating plenty. The clinic takes the minimal amount of water out of me during dialysis

So, how much urine retention is too much?

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
Any retained urine volume in the bladder that is over 75 to 100 mLs is considered abnormal. In the elderly, the accepted amount is 150 mLs. Consistently (long term), elevated post void residuals (what is left in your bladder after urination) can "reflux" up into the kidneys causing renal failure and/or infections.

AmbotKo responded:
I asked my Nephrologist about this today as he made his rounds. He said that perhaps the accepted amount may be different in seniors (I'm 60yo) who like me have had some sort of prostate surgery vs seniors who have not. I'll definitely keep the 100-150ml amount as a better number to aim for.

This week has seen what appears to be a nice change, ...everyday now I've noticed an increased sensation in the urge to void compared to the previous months, especially when water is running, to the point of it being very annoying, though it's not painful. Just an extremely strong sensation.

Urges to void when water is running are normal for healthy people of course, but I haven't felt that kind of urge or almost any urge at all in 6 mos or more. Having much of an urge at all seems very odd considering I've got the SP catheter in place. The catheter is flowing/filling at least as much this week as in previous weeks, so the catheter isn't restricting flow. I guess the new urge to void is a good sign that my once stretched or over inflated bladder is regaining its' health. Or at least some of circuitry between the bladder, brain, and the various other muscles are.

Things are looking up then. I just had my dailysis catheter removed a few days ago (using the fistula now). Maybe I can look forward to the SP catheter's removal as well in the next few months.

:)

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website