Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Digestive Disorders Community.
Includes Expert Content
Bad sensations only 25 years old
Louramaille posted:
for the past year or so i have been having more and more feelings like i have to use the restroom often, or the sensation i am leaking.
some days i just feel the urge to go and some i actually feel like i am leaking all the time. I know alot of it is stress or in my head, since i can be totaly fine till i am in a car on a long drive, or in a line that may take a while or any other siduation where i cant just go when i need to. Rarely happens when i am just lounging around the house.
However the past week or so have been FAR worse, it does not stop.
May be stress since i am getting married in 2 weeks maybe not.

had a urine test done this morning and found no infections or anything to cause it.
been on the Birth control pill for almost 2 years, almost a year before this started.
Never had a child, or even been pregnant
and i am not even 25 yet.

any ideas??

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
Please do not think that your bladder symptoms are "all in your head" as many women suffer with the same symptoms. It sounds as though you have urge incontinence with overactive bladder and stress incontinence. Overactive bladder is when you experience symptoms of urgency — a sudden and strong desire to go to the bathroom, frequency — going to the bathroom more than 8 times in a day, nocturia which is waking up at night to urinate or wetting the bed while asleep. Many people also experience day and nighttime urinary incontinence which is urine leakage on the way to the bathroom, after sudden urgency. Stress incontinence is leaking urine when you cough, laugh or sneeze or exercise.

I think you need to see a doctor, like a urologist, who specializes in these conditions. You can also learn about behavioral treatment programs which include pelvic muscle exercises as well as bladder training for urgency and frequency. Pelvic muscle exercises strengthen muscles that support the bladder and the urethra. These exercises have been shown to decrease urinary leakage. Bladder retraining is controlling urgency using strategies that can help relax the bladder and delay voiding. I would also suggest dietary modifications. There are certain foods and beverages that contain ingredients that can cause bladder irritability. I list these on my website and they include any foods and drinks that contain caffeine such as coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks. Also we find that spicy foods, citrus foods, juices and tomato based products may also trigger urinary urgency/frequency and incontinence.

There are also many medications that can also help the symptoms of overactive bladder. They include a skin patch called Oxytrol, a skin gel called Gelnique and 5 pills called Detrol LA, Ditropan XL, Toviaz, Sanctura, Vesicare and Enablex.

Combining behavioral interventions and drug therapy yields the best results.

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website