Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Digestive Disorders Community.
Includes Expert Content
My bladder just leaks...
An_191906 posted:
I am a 31 year old female that can't seem to hold my bladder. I am overweight and have had 3 kids but this has gone past the normal cough and leak. I can just be standing there and it just leaks out. I'm almost to the point of wearing diapers. It is so gross and it causes me to smell and I don't know whats wrong. I can't afford a doctor but if I hear that it is something really bad then I will go. When I cough, sneeze laugh really hard it is really bad! Other than that it just comes out with out any pressure actually going to that muscle. If anyone has an idea I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_126726,

Many women have been helped with kegel exercises:http://women.webmd.com/tc/kegel-exercises-topic-overview Please keep us updated.

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
It sounds as though you have a combination of urge and stress incontinence. If you cannot afford a doctor, I suggest you learn about conservative treatments or behavioral treatment which include pelvic muscle exercises as well as bladder training for urgency and frequency. Pelvic muscle exercises strengthen muscles that support the bladder and the urethra. These exercises have been shown to decrease urinary leakage. Bladder retraining is controlling urgency using strategies that can help relax the bladder and delay voiding.

I would also suggest dietary modifications. There are certain foods and beverages that contain ingredients that can cause bladder irritability. I list these on my website and they include any foods and drinks that contain caffeine such as coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks. Also we find that spicy foods, citrus foods, juices and tomato based products may also trigger urinary urgency/frequency and incontinence.

There are also many medications that can help these symptoms. They include a skin patch called Oxytrol, a skin gel called Gelnique and 5 pills called Detrol LA, Ditropan XL, Toviaz, Sanctura, Vesicare and Enablex.

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website