Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Digestive Disorders Community.
Includes Expert Content
bladder infection
An_191907 posted:
had a partial hysterectomy ( only uterus) and a mesh insertion for stress incontinence done in oct of this yr..wore a catheter for about 4 days at home...after about a month i developed a bladder infection.which my doctor said was unusual after being so long.was put on meds to get rid of it but now have developed a new one..2 questions..?? after having the mesh operation will i be prone to these infections more frequently?? can UTI be transferred from a male to female? since this was 1st time having intercourse since operation it just seemed strange that i would get another UTI so fast...

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
Some women do get more infections after mesh surgery but they should not keep reoccurring. Has the doctor made sure you are completely emptying your bladder—if there is urine that stays in the bladder after voiding, it could cause an infection.

It is very common for women to get an infection in relation to intercourse. I suggest you void before and after sex.

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website